Tiling kitchen - mixture of surfaces

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

First post in the tiling forum - so please be gentle!

Currently renovating a kitchen where it has been extended to combine with a utility room. The new kitchen will have the floor tiled next weekend with ceramic tiles.

There are 3 substrates in play and from posts I found to cover some of the below, I was planning as below:

1) In the original kitchen - loose Marley tiles removed to find a nice flat bitumen adhesive type coating underneath. All seems sound.
Plan => Clean thoroughly. I used some sugar soap and dried off and it came up clean & black, so was planning this.
:?: Adhesive choice - decent powdered flexible adhesive?

2) In the previous utility room - quarry tiles which are glazed (rather then the matt terracotta variety). Again they seem sound and the level matches the bitumen from the previous kitchen.
Plan => from a previous post on Quarry tiles - sweep, hoover, clean and possibly some brick cleaner.
:?: Adhesive choice - for Porcelain due to low porosity of base?

3) Used some Wickes self levelling latex compound to fill in an area where the boiler used to live. Trowelled it and got very level result. Again, this level now matches up the other two.
Plan => Sweep and ensure dust free etc.
:?: Was planning to use the powdered flexible adhesive?
Couldn't seem to find any posts/tips on laying tiles on top of a latex screed.

Any further tips appreciated :D

Sponsored Links
Just use a powdered flexible adhesive that's suitable for porcelain adhesive over all your surfaces and you should have no problems. ;)
Just ensure your surfaces are clean and dry and you're good to go.

Just use a powdered flexible adhesive that's suitable for porcelain adhesive over all your surfaces and you should have no problems. ;)
Just ensure your surfaces are clean and dry and you're good to go.

Thanks for the speedy reply, gcol.

Just been checking out the adhesives on the Wickes website (prob where I'll get it from as close to home and 20% discount voucher to use as we got a kitchen from them).
The Porcelain adhesive is approx twice as expensive as the normal. I'm looking at prob 11m squared bitumen to only 7m squared quarry tiles. Is a Porcelain adhesive worth the extra, in your opinion? (don't want to be exclusive - any other opinions also please! ;) )

Sponsored Links
Ok, that makes sense - and a much more cost effective porcelain adhesive. :D

Just a final Q - what sort of coverage will the 20kg bag of Dunlop in question likely provide? (for e.g. normal thickness about 3mm)
Couldn't see any info on the link.

Just a final Q - what sort of coverage will the 20kg bag of Dunlop in question likely provide? (for e.g. normal thickness about 3mm)
Couldn't see any info on the link.

Normally are 3mm bed depth about 3-3.5 sqm although I always buy on the assumption of getting about 2sqm per bag.

i have the same problem lance, shooting out without brekky then chomping on the adhesive, i find the flexi better tasting

:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back