tiling advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im planning on tiling my kitchen floor, but am in need of some advice on floor preparation etc. Im planning to use some sort of natural stone tile, and also am planning to install electric underfloor heating.

At the moment the floor is laid with crappy ceramic tiles, which are cracked in several areas and/ or no longer attached to the floor properly. The room has an old concrete sub floor, with no integrated DPM or insulation as it dates from the turn of the century. The previous cowboy who owned the house seems to have applied some sort of (possibly) self levelling bitumen compound which may also have been used as the tile adhesive by the looks of things as theres not much adhesive under the tiles! He claimed this was acting as a DPM, which is interesting as it doesnt even cover the whole floor....

Anyway, main question Im trying to answer is - do I need to try and remove this bitumen stuff before proceeding? My plan for the new tiling was then going to be as follows:

1) fix floor insulation boards to floor with felxible tile adhesive
2) lay out underfloor heating mats
3) use flexible tile adhesive over heating mats to fix new floor tiles

Would it be possible to use a cement based adhesive with quarry tiles, or would this not be a good idea due to the use of the boards? In case anyone asks - despite the lack of a proper in floor dpm - I do not believe the floor to have significant moisture content.

THanks.
Rob

Sponsored Links
Anyway, main question Im trying to answer is - do I need to try and remove this bitumen stuff before proceeding?
So long as it's sound and firmly stuck and clean, you should be ok to leave it.

My plan for the new tiling was then going to be as follows:

1) fix floor insulation boards to floor with felxible tile adhesive
2) lay out underfloor heating mats
3) use flexible tile adhesive over heating mats to fix new floor tiles
Sounds good to me.

Would it be possible to use a cement based adhesive with quarry tiles, or would this not be a good idea due to the use of the boards?
Using a powdered flexible adhesive is the way to go....... and that will be cement based (with additives to enhance its flexibility).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back