tile on damaged plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys i am ripping off a friend's bathroom and when removing the old wall tiles to be replaced with new ones, quite a lo of plaster has come off with the tiles. We are a bit out of time and therefore i wanted to ask you 1) if it is ok to use a cement powder tile adhesive in the bathroom and even over the bathtub and shower....or will the cement powder tile adhesive absorb all the humidity? 2) If it is ok, can it be tanked over around the bathtub and just use pva elsewhere? Thank you for your time. BTW any suggestion what brand of cement tile adhesive should i go for? Ta.

Sponsored Links
You need to make good where the plaster has come away & get the tile base flat; you can use powder adhesive or quickset render but do not use filler, plaster or conventional render or you will have to wait at least 10 days before you can tile. You may be “a bit out of time” but if you rush the prep, it will invariably affect the quality & reliability of the tiling.

If you using tiles much large than 250 x 250mm you should be considering using cement powder addy anyway. If you use tub ready mix on large format tiles it will take an age to set, sometimes never sets at all & the tiles eventually fall off; what/who gave you the impression cement powder addy would be affected by humidity?

You should be aware that plaster will only take a maximum tile weight of 20 kg/sqm (including up to 4 kg/sqm for addy & grout) so if you’re using large format tiles, you could have a problem tiling over plaster.

You can tank the shower & bath areas but it’s not usually necessary unless it’s a plasterboard wall or you’re creating a wet room.

NEVER, EVER USE STANDARD PVA ON A TILE BASE; it remains water soluble & if water gets in & it gets wet your tiles will fall on the floor. If you need to prime, use an acrylic primer but this will depend on the tile base & the adhesive you’re using.

Only use quality trade addy/grout of the correct type for your tiles & tile base, own brand & DIY products are mostly crap. BAL, Webber, Granfix, Mapei (but not the stuff sold in BnQ. Etc. I use BAL exclusively.

Take some time to read the Tiling Forum Sticky & archive threads, it may prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes.

A newly tiled shower/bath should not be used for 10 days whatever type of adhesive you use, if it gets wet you risk early tile failure.

Hi Richard and thanks for your reply. I have made a channel 40 mm deep and 2 meters high into a brick partition wall to run a cold water feed pipe to connect up to the electric shower. Can i use Mapei rapid set adhesive to fill up the channel or is the cut out too deep? In addition to that, can i use that adhesive to patch up plaster to 12 mm. depth? . Do i have to use acrylic pva before i apply the above mentioned adhesive? Thanks for your reply.

Sponsored Links
Also how long shall i allow for it to dry.....especially the 40 mm. cut out? Ta.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back