Finally finished

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Started the extension roof replacement back in July and got the outside done by the end of August. Been working on the inside since.
Couldn't get a plasterer at all. No one taking any work.
Decided to go with boards and filler. Apprehensive but the results have been way above my expectations.
Don't think I'll bother with plaster again. Unless I have too.
Dusty as hell but only for 3 days.

Before ripping the top off - with beams

A bit of in between while filling and sanding.

After beams gone and not any plaster used.

20210606_175205.jpg
20210912_140644.jpg
20210912_140646.jpg
20210920_065726.jpg
Job is most definitely a good un.

Just waiting on the floor fitters in November

Sponsored Links
This looks great. What was your process for getting the plasterboard to a state where it was ready for painting?

Only used tapered boards - plasterboard Jack saved me here - and filled the gaps using 60min filler. Used around 20kg of it.
Messy but a big industrial hoover attached to my sander was great.
There are small imperfections that I can see when they catch the light but nothing really.
Went straight on with the paint.
Covered like a dream!

Floor going down next week finally!

Only used tapered boards - plasterboard Jack saved me here - and filled the gaps using 60min filler. Used around 20kg of it.
Messy but a big industrial hoover attached to my sander was great.
There are small imperfections that I can see when they catch the light but nothing really.
Went straight on with the paint.
Covered like a dream!

Floor going down next week finally!

It looks great! Gives me inspiration for getting my new extension battened and plaster-boarded.

Can I ask how it was filling the tapered boards and what you did for the un-tapered edges (where you cut the boards)? I'm not having mine skimmed when the boards are going on perfectly flat walls.

Sponsored Links
It was okay. The tapered edges required less but, there were many areas I had to feather out over the tapered edge due to very uneven beams.

The untapered edges were much tougher. I feathered out a long way in some places. On one wall I'd nearly skimmed it all. But, that meant that I could sand well out and create a really steady join.

I used tape and not mesh and once you get the hang of it the joints vanish. I also used a plasterers trowel for the final top coat of filler and with a wet sponge managed to get a lovely edge.

All corners were finished with internal and external bead/tape just like normal but, as the house is very old I used reinforced tape in the ceiling to wall corners.

The entire roof was a mammoth task because the outside was wrecked. I replaced 6 joists but the walls are so untrue that it was a conundrum at times. Trying to get a fall of 11 degrees out of centurion tiles was challenging but, creativity and lots of maths helped no end.

Very happy with the end result. 31/2 weeks of 7 days a week for me over summer in total. Powerwashed 550 concrete tiles one at a time too. Each down and up a single ladder gave a new meaning to hard work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back