Finally some good news.

Sponsored Links
That is not in question. I'm questioning the maths. Is that so wrong?

I'm questioning the maths, for Christ's sake. Get off your 'defence of government at all costs' hobby horse.

Calm down; stress kills, you know.
I don't "defend the government at all costs", you have me confused with someone else.

That is not in question. I'm questioning the maths. Is that so wrong?

I'm questioning the maths, for Christ's sake.

As you have misunderstood / misheard / misquoted the reported results, it is no wonder that "your" maths do not add up.

For clarity, the reported results were "a reduction in risk of death for ventilated patients, of a third", and "a reduction in risk of death for oxygen-assisted patients, of a fifth".

On top of that, only 1 in 20 would be potentially eligible for this treatment.

Because 19 in 20 display mild to no symptoms, so would have no need for any treatment beyond rest and fluids, let alone a "wonder drug".

Additionally, the drug is not manufactured in UK (I suspect) hence the stockpiling and banning of export.

AFAIU from yesterday's news reporting, the drug is out of patent, cheap, easy to manufacture at scale, and is being doing so anyway in locations across the world; everywhere from India to Mexico, and many places between. So an "export ban" is not really relevant, other than securing our own needs while not affecting anyone else's anyway (even if there actually is a ban).

So while the discovery of its effectiveness on the small minority of patients might be a UK discovery, the drug is not a UK discovery and is not manufactured in UK. Therefore with all the testing of existing drugs going on around the world, it is pure chance that a trial in UK discovered the effect of the drug.

But the discovery of its effectiveness is, and for a subset of critically-ill patients, that is all that matters.

Sponsored Links
I think that the UK does make some drugs itself. Our version of this one costs more than it does elsewhere. Where the one we use comes from pass. It is not patented. That's how producers who develop drugs make their enormous profits. :) India has been well known for taking no notice. Once something useful turns up other companies make slight changes etc and says me too.

One of Corbyn's ideas was to establish our own state run drug developer. :) There are ways he could remove state control. One well known developer shut down it's research facility in the UK years ago. Maybe researchers are cheaper elsewhere or conditions more conducive.

LOL given all of this mistrust I suspect even more people wont bother voting in the next election as they will feel it makes no difference. :) That suits the Torys as their supporters are known to be more likely to vote even when it's raining also when it's cold and or dark.

Cummins must have come up with the idea. Let the place run to rack and ruin, create mistrust. We will be ok as our supporters always vote for more of the same what ever we do.

Therefore with all the testing of existing drugs going on around the world, it is pure chance that a trial in UK discovered the effect of the drug. Obviously, cooperation around the world (via WHO?) meant that the same trials were not being duplicated.

Rather than scraping headlines from rags, read the actual facts from the source. It's no pure chance of anything. They looked at possible candidate drugs from small scale studies early in the pandemic and identified those that might have some utility for large scale trials. They are leveraging the power of the NHS to conduct the largest clinical trials in the world. They found that Trump's self-administered drug of choice is a dud. They have found the FIRST drug that reduces mortality in a subset of patients. That is huge. They are testing the other candidate drugs in the RECOVERY Trial. Who knows what they may find as a standalone solution or in combination. This virus isn't going away any time soon so any treatment that reduces mortality is better than none. This may be of limited use in the UK now we are passed the peak but darn tootin' it will be needed if there's a second peak (most likely from the morons protesting over the last few weeks) or in countries that haven't yet seen (or admitted to) a peak.

https://www.recoverytrial.net/news/...-severe-respiratory-complications-of-covid-19

That suits the Torys as their supporters are known to be more likely to vote even when it's raining also when it's cold and or dark.
Indeed....Labour supporters in bed counting their ""pay""!.from the Nash.

The purpose of business is to make a profit. Drug companies are a business.

if you can make more profit selling Migraine treatment to rich Westerners, at £25 a pop, which they will probably buy 20 times a year or more, year after year, then the idea of selling vaccines at 12p each, with no patent protection, may not appeal. Funnily enough, actually curing a disease, or wiping it out, is not a route to long term profit. But it is what the population as a whole needs and should want.

Public health is a public matter. It make sense for it to be publicly funded. It's no use moaning that business doesn't do it.

A disease that can spread throughout the world has to be fought throughout the world.

Diarrhoea and Malaria kill more people than anything else. But it is predominantly in poor countries that cannot afford to buy expensive treatment.

It makes good sense for any nation to fight, for example, TB and Polio, which can have devastating effects, even if it is not profitable business for a health company to be in without public support. This is public health.

That suits the Torys as their supporters are known to be more likely to vote even when it's raining also when it's cold and or dark.
Sorry...I thought we were talking fiction here????

Sorry...I thought we were talking fiction here????

Yes but ;) who knows. Cummins's idea of just enough votes via targetting is relatively new but some methods of doing that seem to come from Australia. Observers are surprised about a recent re election there as they reckon the group in power has wrecked their economy. I have seen muttering about strange ideas from there before years ago. No details other than results = imports being more expensive encouraging people to start making things again. I suspect China etc knocked that on the head.

He willbe gone soon.

That may turn out to be bad news. One of his rather unusual ideas is that ok you have said you are going to do it so now do it. Interesting one - do something about the credibility gap. That doesn't just relate to Brexit. :) Well I suspect not as on it's own it's rather difficult to see how it can help without other changes as well.

;) That suggests he isn't into the strange idea I suggested.

Signs of concern - switch on directions of foreign aid. Very USA style which takes less notice of need. Some say we should stop all off it but it looks like there will be more of a switch to political influence. Ukraine has been mentioned - anti Russian direction.

What next? What is going on in the background is often more important.

Sponsored Links
Back