Finding out what does what, smart bulbs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have at least 7 smart bulbs, plus light strips, the first were from Lidi, and needed a zigbee hub, and one set came with a remote control, I also have a smart relay, smart light switches, smart socket adaptors, smart TRV heads, which have worked very well allowing me to get things to work as I want, without the need to hard wire. Together with my Nest Mini's it has transformed the home.

However the problem is working out what does what so my phone has 1674395883565.png 7 apps to control the house, the google home app will turn most devices on/off, but to set the more cleaver options, you need the manufacturers app. This app 1674396064528.png is for the TCP bulb, which can be set dust to dawn with off bit in middle, my problem is for the Smart Life app my wife has control, so not sure if something I have missed. The instructions show something like 1674399654062.png so seems some bulbs, have the option, but which bulbs? This is the data sheet for the GU10 I am using there is nothing to say it can be set dusk to dawn, but I know it can.

So how does one select bulbs when there is nothing to say what they do?

Sponsored Links
This is the data sheet for the GU10 I am using there is nothing to say it can be set dusk to dawn, but I know it can.
Because the bulb itself, may not necessarily have the feature.

The App and the remote server, provides the feature - when you have enabled the feature in the app, the data will be sent to a remote server, somewhere on the interweb; at the correct time, the bulb will be sent the message to turn itself on.

You are not looking for a bulb that supports that feature; you are looking for a bulb that supports the app, that has that feature.

I have 8 smart bulbs and one smart socket. I run them through hive as well as my heating. I think it’s best to stick to just one system and hive does what I need it to do. I did have a couple of heaters and lights in my workshop and I used two different apps to control them which was a bit of a faff. Long gone now as I did away with the internet at work and just tether the pc and tv to my mobile when I’m there.

Sponsored Links
Because the bulb itself, may not necessarily have the feature.

The App and the remote server, provides the feature - when you have enabled the feature in the app, the data will be sent to a remote server, somewhere on the interweb; at the correct time, the bulb will be sent the message to turn itself on.

You are not looking for a bulb that supports that feature; you are looking for a bulb that supports the app, that has that feature.
That is an exceedingly good point well made- the same is almost certainly true for geofencing and other functions. Fine til the app owner switches the app off and bricks your 'smart' devices :(

I have moved to TCP smart lights, mainly as Lidi don't stock lamps all the time, only when on special offer, the GU10 bulbs seemed to have dust to dawn, but not the strip lights, although may be looking in the wrong place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back