finding studs behind plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm just getting into woodworking and I'm converting a 'log cabin' in the back garden into a workshop. I want to put up some French cleats as it's a relatively compact space (approx 16'x6'6") and I need more tool storage.

My pal built the cabin about 10 years ago but has since passed away, so I can't ask him for advice. My issue is detecting and attaching to the studs behind the plasterboard. I have an old stud detector that didn't give accurate readings & brought a new one from Amazon which works on a test setup but was giving inconsistent results on the walls themselves.

I've worked out that the issue is that behind the plasterboard is insulation (the foil-faced stuff with about an inch of fibrous material inside). I have no idea how the plasterboard is attached but I cannot locate the studs from the inside with either detector or by using a thin nail to make exploratory holes.

I think the gap between the plasterboard and the studs/outer panelling is too deep for the above method. I don't have any six-inch nails to hand and when I tried to probe with a six-inch screw, it got bound up in the insulation fibre & I had to cut the end off with bolt cutters.

I can see where the outer panels are attached on the outside (vertical lines of nails) and can see they are spaced 16" apart, so with a bit of measuring, I can mark up the approximate locations on the inside plasterboard wall.

What I want to know is if there is a better method to confirm I've got the correct location than banging in six-inch nails until they hit a stud?

Sponsored Links
A suggestion that's been put forward many times on here previously: get a large neodynium magnet and find the screwheads with that! :)

I've tried using some magnets without a lot of success. They're small but powerful. Perhaps a bigger one is in order.

Any advice on how much weight you can put on plasterboard walls?

I'm still trying to locate the studs & use where possible but if I miss them, can I use plasterboard fixings to put up several long French cleats?

I use some the other day to put up a shelving unit for a friend & they seem pretty solid. They were the plastic swirly self-driving type. I'm planning on using the lower ones for tool storage but also plan on putting a lumber rack on the top ones, so it could get fairly heavy. I guess most of the weight would be downwards, but I've no real experience with working with plasterboard & wouldn't want them tearing out of the wall. Advice welcome

Sponsored Links
The magnet works well for me. It often takes a while to find the first one, but once that's located you can then guess that the next one will be 400mm away and then it's straight forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back