Finding wood studs behind plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

looking to wall mount an lcd and need to find at least one wood stud to fix it to. How do i find it without having to buy an electric wood stud finder. I've tried bangin it with my hand but cannot know for definate where it is

Sponsored Links
They're normally easy enough to find just by tapping across the wall with the back of a bent finger. Just listen for the solid sound where the stud is. If you're still unsure, select the area where you want to fix the LCD, and push a bradle/nail into the p/board until you find the stud, then just mark left and right and then centre The bracket will hide the other holes you made, unless you want to do the job properly and fill the unwanted holes with a small drop of filler. They are normally spaced at 16" centres, so once you find one stud, you should be able to work out the rest. There's plenty of choice there to help you.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
agree with rough.

finger tapping is first port of call.

it has a kind or Doppler effect, with the acoustic resonance altering the pitch of the note.

the pitch gets higher the closer you get to an upright stud. ;) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back