Finishing off kitchen step with new flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_5131.JPG IMG_5132.JPG

Hi all

We had laminate flooring put down but due to time we weren't able to get some of the minor bits finished. I now have gap in a step between the living room and kitchen see photos. Any advice on what I can do to fix that. I have lots of offcuts still. Thanks. First house and first diy job so any help would be great.

Although I know it's only a small job but have to start somewhere!!

Sponsored Links
Google for "stair nosing". You can get small nosings that you could use with your offcuts, or larger ones that might fill the whole gap.

Do you have any more tiles to finish off the top level. If not, then you'd need to use the laminate on the top, then hunt round for a door thresshold jointing strip.

The laminate looks wide enough for you to use a piece across the front of the step, and Wickes do aluminum pieces that you can use as a stair nosing.

You would need to replace the transition strip - tile to carpet - if you dont want to replace carpet with carpet?
Removing that in-place strip might be difficult?
No matter what material is used for the riser the installation of a neat and secure riser might also pose difficulties?

One possibility would be to remove the in-place strip and extend the tile to the nosing.
Installing a custom tile nosing - tile tread to tile riser.
And use a tiled riser arrangement.

Any or all the above options might be steps too far for a beginning DIY'er - just saying?
Perhaps you would be better off getting in a professional floor layer, and watch how it might be done?

Sponsored Links
thank you all for the responses. i don't have anymore laminate for the top, so will replace the transition strip with a nice new one then use some of the off cuts for the riser, add a stair nose and then either a piece of similar matching wood for the riser or off cuts from the flooring (the gap is a little too big to use only one piece of offcut). what i'm not sure about is the join or gap between the riser and the floorboard. is there a best way to seal this? thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back