Finishing tile to laminate in the bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In what order should I fit the tiles and laminate? Should I lay the laminate and then tile down on to them or tile down to the subfloor and then fit the laminate up to the tiles.

Instinct tells me laminate first so the expansion gap is covered by the tiles and the gap left between tiles and laminate can be sealed with a suitable silicone.

Sponsored Links
If you tile first, you won't be able to lift the flooring if you need to. Additionally, laminate flooring normally requires a 10mm expansion gap, how thick are your tiles?

Finally, the silicone will move with the floor and potentially rip, or prevent the floor expanding/contracting.

I would tile the wall first and glue a moulding to the tiles to hide the expansion gap. Do not glue the moulding to the floor though.

I did start with a small skirting in mind but then worked down to a quadrant type beading but the wife doesn't like that much either.

Tiles will probably be 10mm deep by the time the adhesive is applied. Also the floor area is quite small about 1.5m x 0.8m sp probably not that much expansion.

Sponsored Links
Fair play.

Personally I prefer scotia rather than quadrant beading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back