Fire alarm power fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , fire alarm fault question.
So I have a fire alarm panel ( c-tec) which intermittently showing a power supply fault. I can reset the system and clear the fault. Sometimes it's fine for days at a time and other days it comes back immediately. I have checked all the internal fuses on the supply circuitry board and the voltage of the batteries measuring 12 volts.
Do you think this May need a replacement power supply circuit board?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
My first two tests would be an IBT test on the batteries, and a voltage logger on the mains supply.

How old are the batteries? More than 5 years? Change them!! Don't forget to write the date on the new ones.

Haven't got an IBT? Remove the mains and measure tha voltage across each battery whilst they are powering the alarm. Or you could try connecting a 12V halogen lamp (dichroic) to each battery and measure the voltage. If it drops like a stone or is below 10V, the battery is knackered. Remember to replace both batteries at the same time.

Sponsored Links
The batteries are about 7 years old so yes I think this is a good starting point. I think I measured the voltage but I'm going back about 4 weeks now and I think I did it with the batteries disconnected so I will check again whilst connected to the panel with the supply off.

What's the IBT? Current?

Thanks

IBT - Intellegent Battery Tester. Made by a company called ACT it is the most common piece of test kit that alarm engineers have for testing batteries. It is ubiquitous and, although not perfect, is the most straightforward way to test sealed lead-acid batteries.

In the old days, we would connect a car cigar lighter and see how long it took to pop out (if at all)... :rolleyes:

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/29225.pdf

p.s. I think that they're obsolete now. :cry:

About 7yrs old, you've had your money's worth, replace them, don't bother with all the checks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back