Fire Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some advice please. Our house used to be a HMO, hence there was once a full fire alarm installed, most of it is still installed/working except for 3 heat sensors (long story but I've found the cables in the ceiling to get them all working again).

Can anyone direct me to a simple system I can use to update it (currently on one zone but i was thinking of addressable maybe?) also what sensors are best in each type of room (Living room has a multifuel log burner so thinking heat only for heat instead of smoke). Are dual heat/smoke the best for least false alarms/burnt toast issues?

The circuit has the sounders (2 in total) wired on their own circuit in fire proof cable, the bad side is all the sensors are wired in normal twin and earth (apparently against current regs from something I've read but we're doing this in a house which doesn't need it anyway so above and beyond). Neither wire run loops back to the current base unit either, they are both EOL resistor in final unit.

Sponsored Links
Where is the alarm EOL ? And where is the bell EOL ? If both are on the landing with a loft above you could put in a link to create a loop and fit a addressable panel ....but it’s not going to conform to standards

Good point, they both EOL on the landing, but it does mean half would be fire protected and half not :( I was thinking if the bell EOL stay on the fire protected at least we have the main warning part covered. If fire burns through the twin and earth it should go into alarm anyway I assume?

Sponsored Links
I was speaking hypothetically/worst case :)

All the detectors are currently Newlec branded Apollos it looks, and the bases are all apollo too from some research.

Can addressable systems not be on EOL? It's not too important to be addressable/zoned it I guess. I just want to modernise it, the panel doesn't even go into fault if you take a head off the base which seems odd.

At the end of the day it's a house so it's not going to be hard to find a fire/smoke if it's not zoned.

More than likely the panel should have had active EOL units fitted instead of the resistors that’s probably why the fault doesn’t show when the heads are removed ...wether you can still get them for that panel is another question , I believe the panel is a rebranded bardic panel

I'm happy to change all the sensors/bases anyway due to the previous owner getting paint all over them (fyi, no paint on the sensors). Just need a recommendation of a reliable brand really that'll suit the existing wiring constraints I have. If addressable can't be on the current EOL circuit I'll stick with the '1 zone' setup

Smokes are Apollo so you could just replace the heads , fire panel ...there will be other recommends on here but i always fit C TEC CFP on standard jobs

They're reasonably priced, what's difference between normal 2 zone and economy apart from £10 in price?

Curious, does anyone make 'modern' looking heads which are better suited to houses? I don't mind the apollos but they do look a little commercial in a house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back