Fire alarms compulsory with part P????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I came home to day to find the electrician had fitted a smoke alarm to the consumer unit as part of the rewire. I didnt want it done but he says he has to do it. Is that true?

Sponsored Links
I agree No.

He may be taking a view that he has to comply with all Building Regulations but interlinked smokes are only mandatory on full refurbs and new builds.

Some building control guys have their own "interpretation" of these so he may have fallen foul of a beeinbonnetLABCer at some point.

But, I would have wanted smoke alarms installed in any case.
What's your problem with it/them?

did you not ask for a tender/quote with a detailed specification. Is the property being refurbished or have you had an extension?

Sponsored Links
Hello, I havent got anything against alarms but ive got plenty of battery ones and hes been adding extras and finding reasons to put the price up the whole time. Can I also ask how many days (roughly of course) a 3 bed bungalow should take with no making good and easy access everywhere ie loft and under floorboards. Theres no extension just a complete rewire.

Did you not ask when you got the quote?
I take it you got 3?

Hello, I havent got anything against alarms but ive got plenty of battery ones and hes been adding extras and finding reasons to put the price up the whole time. Can I also ask how many days (roughly of course) a 3 bed bungalow should take with no making good and easy access everywhere ie loft and under floorboards. Theres no extension just a complete rewire.
The electrician can not go installing anything without your consent.
Is this house for you to live in or the rental market?
The time taken will depend on the number of circuits, rooms and square area of the property, also whether other trades are preventing work from being complete.

There was no other trades to get in the way he did his first fix then had other work then came back when it suited him. Its not for rental but I take it you mean a rental property has to have a smoke alarm from the fuse box

If the property is going on the rental market a mains smoke alarm system will be required.
The rewire would likely take one of the members of this forum about 3 days once he has managed to get out of your bath.
But expect it to take any time between 6 and 10 days.

I do hope he has given you a written notice of your right to terminate a contract within 7 days otherwise he can not charge you for anything at all including for any work done to date.

Plus not giving this written notice is a criminal offence too.

I do hope he has given you a written notice of your right to terminate a contract within 7 days otherwise he can not charge you for anything at all including for any work done to date.

Plus not giving this written notice is a criminal offence too.

WTF? :?:

Blimey, I'm a criminal. Ok constable, its a fair cop, I'll give myself up tomorrow.

I've just swopped a faulty socket feeding a washing machine and did not give the lady written notice of her right to terminate the contract within 7 days.

I feel so, well, dirty. My life is in ruins. I'll tremble everytime the doorbell rings in case they've found me.........

You won't grass me up, will you?

Guys........?

Guys......................?

She may cancel next Sunday and you'll have to go and put back the old socket and refund her money.

Blimey, I'm a criminal. Ok constable, its a fair cop, I'll give myself up tomorrow.

I've just swopped a faulty socket feeding a washing machine and did not give the lady written notice of her right to terminate the contract within 7 days.

I feel so, well, dirty. My life is in ruins. I'll tremble everytime the doorbell rings in case they've found me.........

You won't grass me up, will you?

Guys........?

Guys......................?

'Norman Stanley Fletcher.............. :p

I`m not kidding,
If you go to their home or someone else's home or place of work and give them a price of £35 or more all inclusive then those regs apply.

Good idea in theory to stop little old ladies being ripped off but any tradesmen including the honest ones could well fall foul of it.

you gotta give a written notice giving them 7 days cooling off.

They can sign a waiver allowing you to start prior to this 7 day period but you must stop if the tell you before the 7 days are up and you can then only charge for what is done before the stop.

They can email or letter you to stop and it is deemed to be received by you as soon as they post or email it (NIGHTMARE ?).

My Local TSO told me about a bloke they know is honest trader having this being used against him by an unscrupulous customer.

quoted for job and gave notice etc.
waiver used so he started it eaerly.

everything seemed to be going ok and they asked for extra work so a £7000 job becomes a £ 10000 job .
Trader happy till he asks for payment.

They said no you have not given us a cooling off contract on what is a £10000 job so we are not paying a penny and they complained to trading standards.

Trading standards informed him that if the client insisted they would have to prosecute him even though they knew he was ,morally innoicent and they were quite deliberately using this law to not pay. They did advise him that if it got to court he should ask the judge to order them to disclose how they would have intended to pay him and to see sight of such monies in the bank or a loan agreement in place otherwise the judge might just decide they had deliberately set out to rip this poor bloke off.

We all know about traders from hell bit there are customers fromm hell too

Any traders on here ? Your local TSO usually has pads of such contracts to sell you and some of the scheme operators do too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back