Fire Board for building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm in the middle of a garage conversion, my garage is joined to my neighbours garage, after putting a new roof on my side i have raised the height by 6-8 inches(slight pitch). Now the problem i have is the gap between the neighbours roof and mine.The centre wall is 6" wide block single skin.which has a timber plate on. Building control said to build up with C16 timbers, fit a cement fire board externally, fill any gaps with fire retardent intumastic sealant insulate then internally line with plasterboard and skim to give at least 1 hour fire gap between properties..,
Where can i find this cement fire board? is this the tile backer stuff or is there a more specific board for this application?
Sorry if this is rambling on but i need to get it sorted this week as its cold in there now.
Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
I used some for a register plate above a log burner, its thinner and much harder then plasterboard. Its also thinner and harder then the cementatious tileing board used around showers which has the glassfibre reinforcement in it. And it ruins saws, use a disc cutter. Could be this stuff :- www.jameshardie.co.uk/images/.../hardiebacker-multifuel-leaflet.pdf , I just went into my builders merchants and just aked for some.
Frank

Standard Hardiebacker can't be used externally.

Supalux is the most well-known, but it's expensive. A cheaper product, Masterboard will do, but only for semi-exposed areas.

Have a search for Magnesium Oxide boards, such as Econicboard or Enviroboard, or Versaboard / Versafire. These are cheap

You'll need 60 minutes fire resistance bear that in mind for selecting thickness

Some here to get you going www.euroform.co.uk/versafire_what_is.shtml

Thanks for that, my local Travis Perkins stocks masterboard, it only has 6mm thick which offers 30 mins fire rating, alond with my
insulation, intumastic sealant, plasterboard and skim this should give me the desired 60 mins ? or am i wrong?
Andy

Sponsored Links
ahh ok thanks for that was looking at it wrong, ive found a versapanel which at 10mm offers a 60 min fire gap and is class "o" for building regs.
Think thats the stuff £70 for 2 sheets though ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back