fire door alternative between kitchen and stairway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I am refurbing my 2nd floor flat. I am hoping to open up a wall that separates my new kitchen living room from the stairway and replace it with an industrial style sliding floor-to-ceiling glass door/partition that will also over look the stair void. See pic attached

glass.jpg

My architect advises me that it should be a fire rated door (30 mins) however I can only find one design that I am happy with and unfortunately it is not fire rated. I would be most grateful if anyone could tell me what the solution to this is in order to pass the building control? I have tried to find a similar scenario online but haven't found one yet

Also as it is is a piece of glass protecting any thing falling into the stair void what would be the likely required specification of glass in terms of thickness/safety features that I would likely need to use?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Speak to Building Control; but I think you will struggle under the circumstances.

if anyone could tell me what the solution to this is in order to pass the building control?

The primary aim is not to satisfy building control but it is to ensure ( as far as is possible ) that the escape route is not compromise in the event of a fire in the kitchen
protecting any thing falling into the stair void

preventing smoke and toxic fumes reaching other rooms before people in them have become aware of the fire and have safely left the building

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back