Fire Door Side Gaps Out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had a fire door hung between my garage and utility room, it was a second hand door and the chippy has had a bit of a wrestle making it fit.

He's done a good job overall, I've a consistent 3mm gap at the top to frame, 8mm at the bottom to the hardwood threshold, the sides generally vary between 3.5 to 4mm apart from the last couple of inches at the top of both sides where the gap is 5mm.

The frame has intumescent seals fitted in it, what can I do about the gaps that are over the 4mm limit?

The building inspector won't be visiting for a while and whilst I'm not going to point out the issue, I'm expecting him to check so could do with some ideas on how to fix the issue if the matter arises.

IMG_20230317_184338.jpg

IMG_20230317_184355.jpg

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
I'm presuming the door lining was fitted prior to the purchase of a second hand door?

I doubt the second hand door remotely fitted the lining hence the headache of fitting it.

The only thing you can do is release the lining to close the gap and pack the lining accordingly, closing all gaps with fire retardant expanding foam, before refixing the lining to ensure correct gapping.

Fire doors are very important, this is not an area to be saving pennies.

I'd have to fully remove the lining to adjust it at the top, it's screwed through the head into the sides, either that or use a metal bit in my multitool and cut through the screws before levering the top edges in and packing them, I suspect the top hinge would require a bit of work too.

We'll agree to disagree about fire doors in terms of their placement, I'd say more fires start in kitchens or living rooms than in domestic garages yet a garage requires the fire door and the others don't but yes those that are fitted should be correct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back