Fire Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit a fire door to my new kitchen to get a completion certificate from Building Control.

My flat has still got all the original hardwood doors which I got stripped and look great.

Unfortunately all the fire doors I have found look crap and I have already bought an original door to fit.

A builder told me that I could buy fireproof paint to paint the door which would be sufficient. I asked in B & Q but they hadn't got a clue.

Any Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Wicks do a (sort of) nice looking fire regs compliant door. It's not cheap though. Also, you could fit a standard fire door and then use a trimming kit to dress it up.

I doubt paint on a standard door would pass Building regs as the paint would need to withstand fire for a minimum of half an hour (I think that's the lowest acceptable rating now)...and you'd need space shuttle paint for that I reckon!

Give the surveyor a call and ask...they can only say "no" which is cheaper than doing something and having it rejected.

Fire door have plasterboard inside that why they're heavy ! 1/2 hour fire door have 1 sheet of plasterboard and 1 hour fire door have 2 sheets of plasterboard,so I don't you will get away with fireproof paint which is not really fireproof only fire resistance.Also the fire door have wax sealed groove round the edge of the door,so when fire start it melt the wax into the door frame to prevent air into the room.I would use door panelling cover or moulding kits as Cobweb post.

Fire doors with plasterboard inside !! Never heard that one before and I've fitted plenty . All the ones that I've seen the inside of are made of densely compacted chipboard. You live and learn.

Sponsored Links
The only reason I know this, is when doing my apprenticeship a few years ago,I planed too much off the door and out come the sheets of plasterboard. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: (wasn't my fault the wrong size door frame was put in !!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back