Fire Doors and cutting to fit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question about fire doors

I have had one fitted and it looks like it needed to be shaved down a bit, if I look at the top I can now see the internal material of the door and not the veneer.

Will this pass the building regs sign off?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The problem is they are wooden doors, not sure relipping will look right

May be a possibility though if the building inspector sees it

at the top I can now see the internal material of the door

so not solid wood. Is it chipboard or plasterboard or what? The edges will have had a lip of some kind. The manufacturers of the door will have said how much it can be reduced on the edges.

The problem is they are wooden doors, not sure relipping will look right

May be a possibility though if the building inspector sees it
In theory the manufacturer normally gives you limits you can trim within, e.g. 4mm per side where there is 6mm hardwood lipping, 10mm top and bottom where there is a 20mm softwood batten beneath the veneer, etc. In practice the old fire brigade inspectors (on restaurants, pubs, etc) were normally happy for us to relip with hardwood if it wasn't possible to swing a door into an odd-sized opening any other way, so long as the closers worked properly, the gaps looked right, we had the right type of hinges, the intumescents were all there, etc. I've yet to come a cross a BCO who is more rigorous than the fire safety could be

I was hoping that the guy that fitted the doors would have known/asked this, but I have learnt to never assume again.

Doors are from Howdens, so I popped in and asked, 5mm all round

Thanks for all the comments

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back