Fire & Electricity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What happens when the fire brigade arrive at a serious house fire in relation to electricity. Does it have to be disconected first? What about in factorys etc.

Sponsored Links
thats a good question.

br may be able to tell us more.

but my thinking is they do not worry about it since the hose is non conducting, and life comes first.
however if it is high voltage (neon sign for example) there is a red "fire mans switch" which isolates the supply to the sign.

but as i said br will be able to tell us more

No fire brigade will go near a house with water until the power has been isolated. This is normally done by flicking the main switch inside the door. If this is not possible then the seal is broken and the cut-out removed. In the unlikely event of access to this being a problem the supply company will have to be called (in our case me!) The supply board will be able to isolate the property or area very quickly but this is unusual.

In the case of industrial or commercial properties, it can be more complex and more critical to isolate the supply. If it is possible to gain entry to the switch room/service entrance it will be isolated there. But more often the supply board will be called, who will isolate the supply at the distribution transformer (by shorting 10KV to ground if necessary)

How much could you expect to may for a middle of the road fire engine?

Sponsored Links
One for yourself, is it? About €120,000. limla note my comments above about isolating the supply (in your case remove the silver paper)

too much? have this one
firerescue_110.jpg
for £46.00

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back