fire escape route on 2 storey house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

With open plan living on the rise a friend of mine has a 3 bed semi. You walk into the front door and you are presented with a hallway with stairs leading up and a door to the living room and door to the kitchen.

They want to remove the wall seperating the hallway and living room so that when you open the front door you step into the living room which has the stairs in it.

Would this comply with building regs in terms of means of escape? i questioned it but found something online which said it was allowed but no reference to regs.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
There is no requirement for a protected route in a two-storey house.

Sponsored Links
....and none for escape windows at 1st floor level??
Only if there is work done that affects it, so it would depend whether an existing non protected exit route would be considered better than fully open plan.
Common sense would suggest yes as you imply, but I suspect in reality they would be treated as separate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back