Will this get through building regs?

Sponsored Links
Hopefully OP will eventually make contact with BC and a definitive answer sourced. Watch this space

It's the smoke not the fire which is most likely to kill you! and removing the barrier from kitchen to bedroom is one not to be taken lightly.

Sponsored Links
3 houses down my road have done similar to this,

Basically removed all internal walls downstairs, 2 have had extensions, all went through building control.

No issues.

It's something I hope to do in the future so I've been looking at what's required.

Our houses all built in the 70s have no hallway, the stairs go directly in the living, which is semi open plan to the dining room, and front door, no doors splitting them up.

The kitchens when built didn't have doors seperating them either

3 houses down my road have done similar to this,

Basically removed all internal walls downstairs, 2 have had extensions, all went through building control.

No issues.

It's something I hope to do in the future so I've been looking at what's required.

Our houses all built in the 70s have no hallway, the stairs go directly in the living, which is semi open plan to the dining room, and front door, no doors splitting them up.

The kitchens when built didn't have doors seperating them either
But the issue is did they have escape windows upstairs or not

That's all irrelevant, those houses are already open plan, so their recent developments don't seem to make the situation worse unlike the OP's situation.
How is it irrelevant?

There will be no change to MOE. The stairs will remain as the MOE, and as you should know if you work in this area, there is no requirement for a protected escape route in two storey properties.

there is no requirement for a protected escape route in two storey properties.

Correct - as long as there are escape windows to 1st floor habitable rooms. The diagram in AD B makes it perfectly clear.

Correct - as long as there are escape windows to 1st floor habitable rooms. The diagram in AD B makes it perfectly clear.
Oh FFS.

As mentioned previously, if there were escape windows, and now there are not, then that is what needs addressing.

The wall around a stair flight in a two storey house is severing no purpose in terms of fire regulations and can be removed whether there are escape windows or not.

Oh FFS.

As mentioned previously, if there were escape windows, and now there are not, then that is what needs addressing.

The wall around a stair flight in a two storey house is severing no purpose in terms of fire regulations and can be removed whether there are escape windows or not.

Here it is - top right-hand diagram.

The two options for escape from the upper floor are: either egress windows plus a staircase or a protected staircase.

As suggested, why not put the shovel down :)

Attachments

• Document_2021-08-28_224302.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 100
just a though..

Customer contacts BC, they say no however they may ask their colleagues in private sector housing to have a look at it and for them to apply the HHSRS, which probably would come out as a Cat 1 hazard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back