Fire escape, velux window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ordered a roof light for a bedroom in a new house. The bedroom in question has a low pitched roof and the bottom of the roof light is at approx 1.2m off the bedroom floor.

Initially ordered it manual opening and sent all architects drawings to the manufacturer as instructed, they called me back and said I should consider an electric operator window because the manual one opens quite high and you need to be able to reach it to pull it down. So I ordered electric...

Got this installed now and it only opens about 30cm and takes about a minute to open with the switch. This is the only accessible window in the bedroom.

My fear is it doesn't meet building regulations for fire escape. Am I correct in thinking this? I had no idea it would only open so little.

Sponsored Links
Don’t think this will comply. Needs to have clear opening 0.33sqm min, 450min height, 450min width, 1100mm max off the floor. Im also not sure that an electric rooflight will comply as what if the power goes off?

An alternative is a protected passage to the front door. If you fit fire doors to each room off the stairwell and you are able to walk from the bedroom, down the stairs and out the house without walking through another room this should comply without a fire escape window.

Shooting from the hip a bit, but I'm pretty certain that the requirement for fire escape roof light windows has now been ommitted!?

Sponsored Links
But your post seems to indicate that this bedroom is not part of any work going through building control anyway, and if so, the velux does not have to conform to anything

IIRC, all Velux windows (and those from others) are Part L compliant anyway.

We're going OT a bit, but the point is that if building control are not involved, then the OP can fit anything he likes

If this rooflight is part of a brand new build, then it will be assessed differently for any compliance - ie in context of the build and not as an individual item or how it would be if in an extension

We are just doing a loft extension with roof windows.
I specifically asked about means of escape, i.e. door closures, fire escape windows. Acc to BC they have been scrapped. They would require a 30 min or 60 min firedoor though.

We are just doing a loft extension with roof windows.
I specifically asked about means of escape, i.e. door closures, fire escape windows. Acc to BC they have been scrapped. They would require a 30 min or 60 min firedoor though.
The OP has not clarified exactly what he is doing and whether his loft is the first or second floor, so all of the posts in this thread may be irrelevant.

new build, 1st floor. Rooflight is only window in the room. And after thinking about it, even if it got passed by BC, I personally think it's not that smart having such a incredibly slow opening, hard to get out of window. So I have to work out have to convert it to a manual, manufacturer has not been helpful.

And after escaping to a second story sloping roof what happens then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back