Fire in junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In today's Times there is an article about houses built using bales of straw. One was destroyed due to a junction box that caught fire. I was wondering how this could happen and what a (conventionally built) homeowner could to reduce the risk. The reason I ask is that I know that over the years my house has acquired some of these after adding sockets etc. All done by qualified electricians of course.

Sponsored Links
Best to avoid junction boxes. Additional sockets are best taken from an existing one.

Nowadays there are so many better types of connector that screw junction boxes are less useful.
The only benefit i can see is they are very flexible on terms on number and thickness of conductors in the terminals.
If you're doing connections outside of an accessory I'd always recommend some kind of maintenance free connector.

Sponsored Links
the screws get loose.

you could check the screws are tight every 10 years
HI, What happens during an electrical inspection, is every accessory and junction boxed opened and checked? Or do they do a resistance test? There must be junction boxes under laminate flooring, sockets behind kitchen units and fitted wardrobes, etc.

Bob

HI, What happens during an electrical inspection, is every accessory and junction boxed opened and checked? Or do they do a resistance test? There must be junction boxes under laminate flooring, sockets behind kitchen units and fitted wardrobes, etc.

Bob
Depends on the agreed limitations, one of the standard ones is that floorboards will not be lifted

Depends on the agreed limitations, one of the standard ones is that floorboards will not be lifted
Oh I see, if you do a continuity test can you tell from the resistance reading that connectors are maybe loose? Or is it inconclusive?

It might show up, I have picked up loose connections on ELI tests before now

the screws get loose.
Why should the screws get loose in a JB but not socket or other fitting, or is it more the fact that they are often an inaccessible joint that is really the potential problem.
Has any electrician on here had a call from a customer to check the tightness of the screws in their fittings.

Well I had a call to check all the connections in a house once as the new owner had experienced a minor conflagration due to loose connections in their previous property

Why should the screws get loose in a JB but not socket or other fitting, or is it more the fact that they are often an inaccessible joint that is really the potential problem
It's the inaccessible thing that makes them a problem, but they can and do come loose elsewhere, especially if they carry a decent current.

You can see from resistance checks.

L and N should match. If they don’t something is loose. It’s just finding it.

CPC is higher resistance as it’s thinner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back