Fire rated downighters and smokehoods

With regard to the void between floor and ceiling. Both floor and ceiling are being completely replaced with plasterboard ceiling and chipboard floor. The void is 7" and I am buying downlighters which are 105 mm which should give me 70mm clearance. Hopefully this should be enough. I was going to insulate the floor with with rockwool.

Is this a problem?
Yes it is. Downlights and insulation are not a good combination. The general minimum requirement is 100mm clearance all around the the light itself and a similar distance if you are using transformers.
But you need to look at the instructions and comply with them.
I replaced two transformers this week that had gone a shrivelled chocolate brown after being placed under some insulation.
However, for the Halers 2 mentioned above the gap is 50mm above and 75 mm either side of the light unit - the driver is built in.
http://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/h...ownlight-brushed-aluminium-natural-white.html
For example instructions.

Sponsored Links
With regard to the void between floor and ceiling. Both floor and ceiling are being completely replaced with plasterboard ceiling and chipboard floor. The void is 7" and I am buying downlighters which are 105 mm which should give me 70mm clearance. Hopefully this should be enough. I was going to insulate the floor with with rockwool.

Is this a problem?
Yes it is. Downlights and insulation are not a good combination. The general minimum requirement is 100mm clearance all around the the light itself and a similar distance if you are using transformers.
But you need to look at the instructions and comply with them.
I replaced two transformers this week that had gone a shrivelled chocolate brown after being placed under some insulation.
However, for the Halers 2 mentioned above the gap is 50mm above and 75 mm either side of the light unit - the driver is built in.
http://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/h...ownlight-brushed-aluminium-natural-white.html
For example instructions.

Someone should tell that to the electrians on a new build development around here..!

In error I posted the wrong quote and it should have read....

But I am totally confused by the response from ban all sheds.
Why?

Are you easily confused?

You said yourself you quoted in error.

What you did was to quote me, and in reply say "So as I understand it you are saying that I should have two rows of downlighters 750 from the sides and ends and approx 1100 apart both widhways and lengthways".

My reply was to that, i.e. -

No, I was not saying that.

I was absolutely not saying that.

No way was I saying that.

etc.

What is SFA?
http://www.internetslang.com/SFA-meaning-definition.asp

If you aren't suggesting downlighters what are you suggesting?
If a low ceiling height makes recessed lights attractive then by all means have recessed lights.

But not those daft little 2" diameter torches.

He has an irrational phobia of downlighters for some unknown reason.
It's not irrational, it is not a phobia, and if your claim that you don't know why I don't like them is true then you are incredibly stupid, because I have clearly articulated it on more than one occasion.

As a general rule of thumb in a kitchen you want to be aiming for the first downlighter to be about 500mm from the wall and then every 1000mm on centre after that, to end up back at 500mm from the other wall.

You will obviously need to adjust these figures to suit your room, but that's the general plan.
So how many would that ROT indicate for a room 5m x 2.6m?

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds";p="2357737 said:
If you aren't suggesting downlighters what are you suggesting?
If a low ceiling height makes recessed lights attractive then by all means have recessed lights.

But not those daft little 2" diameter torches.
So what are you suggesting? I am happy to consider any lights which will work in a kitchen which has a ceiling height of 2m and which won't protrude.

He has an irrational phobia of downlighters for some unknown reason.
It's not irrational, it is not a phobia, and if your claim that you don't know why I don't like them is true then you are incredibly stupid, because I have clearly articulated it on more than one occasion.

You keep churning out the same old misguided nonsense about downlighters being engineeringly offensive what ever that means.

I've done so many downlighter installations, and the light they produce is fantastic, the fittings look great, and my customers couldn't be happier.

As a general rule of thumb in a kitchen you want to be aiming for the first downlighter to be about 500mm from the wall and then every 1000mm on centre after that, to end up back at 500mm from the other wall.

You will obviously need to adjust these figures to suit your room, but that's the general plan.
So how many would that ROT indicate for a room 5m x 2.6m?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back