Fire ratings for down lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was testing a ground floor property, in a Victorian four storey house with self contained 2/3 bedroom flats.
Single stair case

Ceilings are wood joist with plasterboard.
Inside the ceiling void is insulation supported by chicken wire.

Down lights are installed through out the property, and are open style with halogen lamps.
So not fire rated down lights. I estimate the refurb was done 20 years ago.
Did you have fire rated down lights back then?

My thoughts were that the fittings should be replaced with fire rated versions, but I don't want to cause unnecessary expense to a client if not needed.
I wondered if the insulation / chicken wire in the ceiling void might keep the fire rating of the ceiling intact.
I know rockwool do a fire rated insulation, when installed with chicken wire has a fire barrier properties.
Speaking with them though, any downlight holes would compromise this fire barrier.

I also contacted the local authority building control, with pictures, and explanation.
The response was interesting.
The ceiling is not in compliance with current building regs, but they have no jurisdiction over historical works.
I wonder if they would become involved though, if a fire happened, which spread through the building, through downlights, which were given the OK by an electrician.

So what would you rate this on a EICR.
I read in Napits code breaker book, which they say this should be given a C2.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back