fire rated down lighters

L

llewop

Going to install 6 down lighters in my living room but I have insulation between the ceiling and the floor. I was told I will have to fit fire rated down lighters due to the insulation. I was going to fit,
Fire-rated GU10 Downlight White IP65
saw these in screwfix can anybody confirm to me that this is correct.

Sponsored Links
Fire rated has nothing to do with insulation in the ceiling.

Fire rated downlighters have additional shielding so that in the event of a fire in the room, the fire does not spread through the holes where the downlights are fitted. Fire hoods serve the same purpose.

If there is insulation in the ceiling, then it will have to be moved away from the downlighters, otherwise they will overheat.

Fire rated downlights and fire hoods are used when breeching a fire compartment. A standard 2 storey house is considered to be one single fire compartment unless there's a garage underneath one of the rooms. In that case the garage is treated as a separate fire compartment.

However it is good practice to fit fire rated anyway when there is another living space above.

Sponsored Links
However it is good practice to fit fire rated anyway when there is another living space above.

Why? Any documentation on this? You don't work for building control do you? :D
This 'good practice' book is like the Holy Grail, forever talked about but never to be seen!

Even with downlights fitted, the average ceiling provides quite a decent resistance to the spread of fire.

In a house the real problem in the spread of fire is the stairs!

This 'good practice' book is like the Holy Grail, forever talked about but never to be seen!

:eek: :cool: :) :)

Picture005.jpg

I may have the same book, if all they did was change the cover and the flyleaf etc to make it the Amicus version...

Is it 10x19cm, 176pp?

Might just stop the crap left underneath the floor by some other tradesmen from igniting, having had a few floors up in the past and seen the delights to be found under them.... hence good practice, not written down anywhere - my confusion with thinking it may be necessary was from talking to people who live in flats and are installing them.... in this case it is for the reason given.

Don't get me wrong Sean, fire rated downlighters are much better than standard open back downlighters but what I detest is the LABC's view that they should be used in all circumstances without fully understanding the reasoning behind it :evil:

As an aside, we always use them unless it's for external soffit or porch installs. In this case an IPX4 rated open back downlighter is used combined with CFL 7w or 11w lamps.

The CFL lamps are good in those circumstances, wouldn't have them in a living area though, they take forever to warm up! Bought a couple of downlighters a while back, but never bothered using them in the end, might do the cfl ones in my hallway when I do that though - depending on how much of a mess there is behind the flush fitting light that is currently there... I have to admit I did get a bit confused by the living area above advice and was going on that for the primary reason to use them (however, common sense dictates gives a nice secondary reason)

I may have the same book, if all they did was change the cover and the flyleaf etc to make it the Amicus version..

Is it 10x19cm, 176pp?

My book is proberly 15cm high X 10cm across
only 79 pages

It was for the 15 th regs though, they were given out by the EEPTU
It does not mention downlighters either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back