Down Lighter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit the dreaded down lighter to save space in a place with limited head room. Though i would like to fit something modern and energy efficient.

I don't need to worry about spread as its a short corridor about 1 x 2 meters but are these any good

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/24201...24Q-4-Pin-Brushed-Chrome-Fire-Rated-Downlight

Never had a light with a ballast do they require much ventilation and are they any good or shall i just go for a sgu10 light

Sponsored Links
I appreciate the 13w es consideration, but:-

* ugly as sin
* dust and fly trap
* extra mtce when unit goes pop
* daft cost absorbs es savings

Why not go megaman in a gu10 case ?

Sponsored Links
Little bit on the step side BAS and probably much more light than i need
OK - try this.

Look for a basic, cylindrical (i.e. not cone-shaped interior), fixed (i.e. not eyeball) R80 downlighter that isn't particularly deep. Ring Lighting do one, for example.

Put a Genura lamp in it - they are a little longer than the regular incandescent R80 lamps:

genura1.jpg

and ideally what you'll find is that the body of the luminaire stops where the domed glass part of the lamp begins, so none of the light-emitting part is enclosed or above the ceiling.

Low energy, high efficiency, good colour temperature, no narrow restricted beam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back