Down lighters in bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking to put a down lighter in our bedroom to improve light.
I have 2 questions:-

What happens to the insulation in the loft? Does this need to be cleared around the light to give fire or breathing or safety clearance?

I assume the lights are wired in series? I am looking to take power from existing ceiling rose and pass to the new light so expect to take live from switch via ceiling rose to the new light and then back same route but on return side. I am beginner with electrics with basic understanding so the above is a basic view but will welcome confirmation.

What is the difference between fire rates and non fire rated ?

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Here we go.

1. Downlights shine their light, well, down. In general they do not improve light. It will illuminate a spot. Do you want that? Do you want a searchlight boring into your eyeballs as you lay in bed? Put up another pendant.

2. If you want to do it. You will have to clear about 6" round the downlight site, so your room will be colder. Or fit a loft cap, or joist brace that will allow you to put insulation back over the light.

3. Mains Lights are wired in PARALLEL.

4. You do not need fire-rated lights unless your bedroom ceiling is a fire barrier. If you live in a normal domestic house it probably wont be.

Here we go. ... Downlights shine their light, well, down. In general they do not improve light. It will illuminate a spot. Do you want that? Do you want a searchlight boring into your eyeballs as you lay in bed? Put up another pendant.
It obviously depends upon the downlight, in particular its beam angle. At about 2m below the light (probably a typical ceiling-bed distance), that 'spot of light' would be around 2m in diameter (I.e. roughly the size of a big bed) with a 50° or 60° beam angle. With a 120° beam angle (probably only available as LED) the 'spot of light' would be about 7m in diameter at bed height!

I do, however, agree that having a light shining down into ones eyes whilst in bed is not necessarily what people want!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back