Fire regs & door requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be grateful for some help with the fire regs. I am refurbishing my house including extending the rear and converting the loft.

(i) Is there a simple guide as to what I will need to do to meet the regs. i.e. Would the hall-kitchen door/room divider (circled) need to be FD30? (This will be custom made to fit space)

(ii) My builder has asked me to advise - in relation to all doors - for "the specification required for elements ancillary to the doors to meet the required fire rating e.g. ironmongery, smoke seals, intumescent strips, doorstops and glazing". What does this require?

(the other internal doors are Premdoor Fireshield FD30)

Thanks,
Rich

GF Plan Doors.jpg

Sponsored Links
Most of the doors are Premdor 4-panel moulded smooth door with no glazing. Do these doors need anything special? i.e. fire stops, strips, ironmongery?

The exception is the hall/kitchen door which I would like to be a set of half-glazed doors & half-glazed sidelights. These are likely to need to be custom made, but I will need to make sure it is spec'd.

Sponsored Links
Have you applied for building regulations approval for the extension and loft conversion ? The bldg. regs submission should show the requirements to comply with fire safety as well as all other bldg. regs related matters.
ps what information is the builder working to ?

Yes, but it was done under a building notice.
That was quick :!:
That is the problem with doing work under a building notice. Who is deciding what is being built ? Are there any drawings ?

Yes, probably a mistake on my part. We needed to submit a building notice to use as evidence for our planning appeal (!), but should have looked into getting it 'upgraded' to Full Plans.

These are the plans. There is a specification of works but also has little mention of the fire regs.

Attachments

• Final_GF_Plan.JPG
    Final_GF_Plan.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 273
Any door to a habitable room off the staircase needs to be a fire door set - 30 minute door and frame - but no strips or closing device. That double door may need strips though.

Any ironmongery would need to be suitably fire rated too.

Max 3mm gap to top and sides, and 8mm at bottom. This is often forgotten.

The levers are not so important, as long as not plastic or thin aluminium. It's really just the hinges and latch to pay attention to.

But whatever door you choose will detail what is required to maintain its fire rating.

But whatever door you choose will detail what is required to maintain its fire rating.
Thanks. You would think the manufacturers (such as Premdor) would make this info easy to find if you are buying an FD30...

Why is the sink waste shown going across to a gulley at the side of the extension , with the drain then going back to an inspection chamber before going across and under the new extension ; rather than going straight out at the rear of the extension to a back inlet gulley with the drain to a new inspection chamber and then straight across outside the building to a new inspection chamber on the existing foul drain :?::!:
It isn't good practice to run drains under buildings if it can be avoided.

Why is the sink waste shown going across to a gulley at the side of the extension , with the drain then going back to an inspection chamber before going across and under the new extension ; rather than going straight out at the rear of the extension to a back inlet gulley with the drain to a new inspection chamber and then straight across outside the building to a new inspection chamber on the existing foul drain :?::!:
It isn't good practice to run drains under buildings if it can be avoided.
I am not totally sure; the right hand half under the extension was already there so it feeds into the existing system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back