Fire Resistant Plasterboard -what circumstances is it used?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wondered how often do people use the fire resisitant plasterboard as opposed to the normal stuff? Is it common to use it to dot and dab in a regular terraced house or is more used for new build flats and such like? Is it still ok to use the normal boards in a terraced house because they seem to be the more popular option? Any regulations etc? Thanks...

Sponsored Links
fire boards have a function, thats to give you extra time in a fire before the board is breeched, twice that of a standard wall board i believe (30 mins), you would normally use them as a ceiling in an integral garage for example and certainly as a ceiling between flats, also used to protect structural steels.

as trowelmonkeys has stated they are used in areas to prevent the spread of fire, fireline boards can withstand fire for 30mins, but some boards can resist for up to 2 hours.
They will be used to protect steel structures, dividing walls and ceilings that are shared with neighbours and around some fire places.

Thanks for the replies. I did wonder though, Are the fireboards necessary in a normal terrace house? To me, it doesn't seem they are that common as they're a order only item at my local builders merchant, and wickes/b+q don't have them in. I'm probably thinking to much about this, but why don't they only make fireboards instead of the normal boards?! Thanks again....

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I did wonder though, Are the fireboards necessary in a normal terrace house? To me, it doesn't seem they are that common as they're a order only item at my local builders merchant, and wickes/b+q don't have them in. I'm probably thinking to much about this, but why don't they only make fireboards instead of the normal boards?! Thanks again....

They are more expensive and heavier than ordinary boards.

They are very common on new builds - garages, flats and timber framed.

what are wanting to do owlhayden?
Standard boards can be used in terrace houses, depending on the application.
You can double board, which will give the same resistance times, lots of builders merchants stock fireline.

fireboard, its really heavy and takes alot of cutting as it full of fibres so does not snap easily like standard board, seems to come in 15mm more than 12.5, but that could just be the sites i have been on

All i'm doing is taking the internal walls back to brick in a terraced house and using plasterboard as a base then skimming over (dot and dab + a skim 8.5mm boards or there about). I also have to screw some boards onto the joists on the dining room ceiling and then skim it and a few other ceiling repairs here and there.
I'm still unsure whether regulations insist on using fireboards for teraced house renovations or are they only for high risk places like garages and new build apartment blocks? (although I did some work in Leeds on a flat that can't be more than 5 years old and that had just normal boards). Thanks...

All i'm doing is taking the internal walls back to brick in a terraced house and using plasterboard as a base then skimming over (dot and dab + a skim 8.5mm boards or there about). I also have to screw some boards onto the joists on the dining room ceiling and then skim it and a few other ceiling repairs here and there.
I'm still unsure whether regulations insist on using fireboards for teraced house renovations or are they only for high risk places like garages and new build apartment blocks? (although I did some work in Leeds on a flat that can't be more than 5 years old and that had just normal boards). Thanks...

There's people more up to speed than me on regs but I would only see the need for fireboards between dwellings ie party wall with next door, upstairs ceilings if common void, garage ceiling if under dwelling. Also over steels . AS mentioned 2 layers of 12.5 will do the job for you too.

A fire/smoke is more likely to make its way up your stairs and kill you before getting thru your ceiling. There are alos regs for attic rooms/ fire doors.

If dot and dab, for make sure each board (or second best, at least each wall ) is sealed ie continuous bead of adhesive around each board (or wall) perimeter - and around each switch box etc that way no movement of air/smoke through the void

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back