Fire surround......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am about to have a log burner fitted

Fireplace opening and hearth is sorted and tiled ready for HETAS chaps to install next week

Now my thoughts turn to the fire surround/mantelpiece

I want to make my own and use the same tiles as used already (see above) to clad it

size wise a concrete lintel will be just the ideal size for the mantelpiece I want

I was thinking of using thermalite blocks for the supporting columns, turned on their end they will be the ideal size! - will this be OK?

If so, will sand and cement mortar bond adequately to the (bare brick) chimney breast, or should I use something else? (liquid nails, dot-n-dab adhesive, etc)

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
To bond your new pillars to the old brickwork use screw in wall ties, especially near the top, to stop the whole construction falling forward. Do you really want a concrete lintel as your mantle piece, a nice lump of wood would look better?
Frank

yes ................because I want to tile it! (that is Soooooooo important)

.......a lintel seems easier....

.............or is it?????????????????

You must tell me, how you are going to tile underneath the projecting concrete lump? Because it might be visible when you sit down. It would seem that bull nosed tiles are no longer made, so I wonder how you are going to finish of the mantle piece edges. Have you really looked at the surface of concrete lintels, one of the wide surfaces is normally really rough, which looks like a problem to me.
One fireplace I built was with bits of limestone that a local stone mason cut up to my sizes. Have you looked into this. Even monumental masons (grave stones) might be able to supply something suitable.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Will tile bottom by placing lintel upside down....

then fit lintel to piers once tiles are set.

.....edge of top and bottom course of tiles will form visible "edge"

...any thoughts on "fixing" lintel to chimney breast?

will use screw in ties for piers...................

thanks

Victorian slate mantle pieces had tabs on their rear edge which were sunk below the plaster. They were also set with plaster to the tops of the pillars, I used Araldite! If your pillars are fixed securely then "nailing" the ends of the mantle piece would be enough. Now I doubt if you can get masonary pins long enough, so I would drill a shallow hole through the new tiles under the ends of your mantle piece. Drill corresponding holes in the top of the pillars. Now a short bit of steel dropped into the pillar holes will "nail" the mantlepiece to the pillar. I would clart the tops of the pillars with your grouting and put the mantle piece gently on. Settle it down and wipe off excess grout.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back