Fire Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my loft i do not have a firewall.

Whats the best way of constructing one that meets building regs?
I was going to build a partition wall using 2x2. And use Fire Resistant Gypsum,,

Any Ideas?

Sponsored Links
sounds great. how are you going to get plaster boards into the loft?

i often think a light weight block wall built off the party wall is the best solution. ;)

a block wall might fall over and come through the ceiling? I bet it would if I built it :LOL:

You can get metal lathing designed for firewalls. I suppose you will have to cut the boards apart to get them into the loft but that is easy by scoring and snapping, and by reassembling the pieces in the same order they will fit tightly.

IIRC fire partitions need a few layers of board, so you can overlap the joins.

I've seen a recommended fire partition design on one of the manufacturers' sites but can't remember which.

Is there anything worth having in your neighbour's loft? :D

hee hee ... no dont think so, but she is rather attractive...

the answer to your questions can be found here.. on my other post.. i am removing the ceiling and extending my walls up to the roof space!
Hence i can slide all my boarding and timber straight up into the loft space.. Yeppie!

I was going to do, 2 layers of 9mm fireproof gypsum.. One horizontal and one vertical!

each board gives me 60 mins i think of burn time.

Sponsored Links
Just one point.

To be classed as a fire break, the studwork must be covered on both sides, not just your side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back