Fire windows

Oh I forgot to say! the window/roof pitch should not be at issue here, as the escape window, in the regs, calls for a means of escape - yes - but generally by a fireman on a ladder or snorkel. And before all laymen/advisers bring the wrath of God crashing down on my head, I agree, in part, anyway that if the room occupant can climb out a shallow roof will be better than a steep one. HOWEVER - I wouldn't share your thoughts with the building officer, because he will have to insist on a hand-railed set of steps in the room to the window, with an external weight bearing platform, fully hand-railed fire escape to be instaled ;) :LOL: ...pinenot

Sponsored Links
Don't worry, pinenot; when I was your age, I was making the same mistakes :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Just an update. My friend is resigned to the fact that she wont get a building warrant on the conversion.

The plan to move the stairs didn't work because whoever did the original conversion had cut the trusses where the original "stairs" were and the builders couldn't cut any more. So the stairs had to go back where they originally were but they couldn't make them the 600mm wide that they needed to be - they're 600mm wide at the bottom but are only 580mm wide at the top.

So although it's all been done now properly, because of the discrepancy on the width of the stairs, it's not going to be officially classed as a bedroom. :(

because of the discrepancy on the width of the stairs, it's not going to be officially classed as a bedroom. :(

Alison;

I don't know the Scottish Building Regs, but in England and Wales there is no legal minimum width for a staircase in a dwelling.
In particular, when space is tight and you are doing a loft conversion for one bedroom only, regs here allow a degree of flexibility in terms of width and steepness.
I wouldn't just accept it at that but would suggest enquiring more thoroughly into your regs on stairs, irrespective of what your local building inspector says.

Thanks. I'll get my friend to double check. I'm sure she was told that the staircase had to be a minimum of 600mm wide and it is - till you get to the very last step and it's 580mm wide.

Because of this, she thought it was pointless doing the rest of the stuff required - ie fire escape route and fire door.

Definitely think it's worth checking though.

The width of a stair in a Scottish dwelling should be 1m wherever practicable (1.2 in public buildings) however the effective minimum width can be 800mm, or where the flight only leads to a toilet or similar this can go down to 600mm. Heres a copy of the pertinent guidelines -http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0042/00423928.pdf

Building control throughout Scotland, vary their interpretation of these guidelines (I have found) and it's certainly best to get their ruling first as they can refuse to issue a completion certificate in some circumstances...pinenot :)

Alison;
Pinenot is actually correct in principle, though out on detail.
As a matter of interest, I looked up the Scottish regs on stairs and, sure enough, a minimum width is stipulated.
Very surprising as in England/Wales your friend would have been OK with the narrow stairs.
Blame Alex Salmond!

S3.4
The width of a stair, measured between handrails and clear of obstructions, must be at least 1 metre,
except -
a.
the width of a private stair
may reduce to at least -i. 900mm where it is within the accessible
storey,
or
ii. 600mm where it serves only sanitary accommodation
and/or one room, other than a living room orkitchen,
or
iii. 800mm elsewhere; and
b.
stringers and newels may each project not more than 30mm into the width;

Life would be so much easier without regulations!!

Just means that nobody with wide hips can go up to that room!! LOL

Must admit that any building regs went out the window when the builder she employed nicked off with her money but hadn't finished the work. We've all had to rally round and finish off as best we could, employing a plasterer and kitchen fitter/handyman where necessary. It nearly killed us with the amount of work that was outstanding (plus a broken wrist for me), but we got there in the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back