Fire windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope I can explain this properly.

My friends new house has an attic conversion but it's not up to building regs - yet - to be properly classed as a room.

There are three velux windows in it and one of them has to be changed to a fire escape window.

Two of the windows are to the front of the building and the third is to the rear, where the roof is of a lower pitch than the front.

The rear window is going to be a landing into the room. Can the fire escape window go on that rear window, on a landing, or does it have to be in the actual room?

Sponsored Links
Has to be in the room.
When you think about it, if the fire was in the landing (assume the landing leads to a stair) when an escape/rescue had to be performed, opening a door to a landing is about the worst scenario...pinenot

It has to go in the room. That said, current loft conversion regs do not require escape windows, presumably they are applying older regs as the conversion was sometime ago?

Yeah, the conversion was done quite a few years ago. It's daft but it was all done properly - apart from the stairs (which were lethal) and window requirements.

I'll let her know - might need a rethink of the design so that the rear window can be the fire window (if it's needed).

Is it worth her checking if she has to go by old regs since the conversion was done a while ago?

Sponsored Links
Normally you would go with the regs that were current at the time, otherwise you’ll be adding extra insulation etc.

If (and it is an if) your inspector was reasonable an alternative to making the window an escape window could be to fit fire doors throughout the rest of the house though that obviously comes at a cost, this is what you would be required to do nowadays. Would be worth chatting things through with the inspector.

Here's a reality check - If the conversion was done some time ago as you say, did said conversion pass an inspection by BC at the time, if yes then the building inspector cannot insist on these works, BC cannot apply something retrospectively. On the other hand, if the conversion is only being applied for now, then it must conform to the current regs, or in reality - the building inspectors application of the regs
It would be interesting to know which is applicable in your instance :p...pinenot

Here's a reality check - If the conversion was done some time ago as you say, did said conversion pass an inspection by BC at the time
Clearly not as the OP has said that the stairs and escape window did not comply.

On the other hand, if the conversion is only being applied for now, then it must conform to the current regs, or in reality - the building inspectors application of the regs
No the Regulations that were in force at the time of the build would be used not the latest regulations.

On the other hand, if the conversion is only being applied for now, then it must conform to the current regs, or in reality - the building inspectors application of the regs
No the Regulations that were in force at the time of the build would be used not the latest regulations.

Simply - put - for - clarification, The regs of the day would have pertained then - not now - if then an application is to be considered now it must be within current regs unless there has been a partial warrant issued, but these are time limited and bless me I can see nothing in either Alison566's original or subsequent post to support your jibe, care to enlighten us???

In England, if you apply for regularisation of a project completed 10 years ago, the applicable regs would be those of ten years ago. Not current regs. Is it different in Scotland?

We did wonder that Jeds. From hunting the internet, it looks like regs can vary slightly from county to county as well! It's all very confusing.

Since most of the original attic conversion has been pulled down, they're going to work the new room so that the back window is in the room and is the fire window - its the sensible option since the roof has a really steep pitch at the front and a shallow pitch to the rear. If, God forbid, she ever needed to use it, she'd rather go out on the shallow pitch than the steep one!!

Why haven't you just clarified it with the Inspector? They should be involved right now not later on!

I agree, first clarify it with your building inspector, and yes their are variations between Scottish and English regs, however much of my time managing construction sites was in England!
Re: "most of the original attic conversion has been pulled down" brings me to my earlier point, you are - in effect - starting a new project, which will require a new building warrant, irrespective of what has gone in the past, trust me...pinenot :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back