Firebird C26/Riello RDB problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could I please have some advice with an issue with my parents Firebird oil boiler? They’ve been without hot water since NYD, their usual engineer can’t fix it and everyone else is busy for days.

The boiler is lifeless, the motor/burner will not run, no purge, not even a light on the control box.

**The boiler is not locked out.

The boiler has 240v to the control box, but no live from the control box to the motor.

I have tried a reset of the high limit stat.

The heat demand LEDs are on at the PCB (and flashing, which I’ve never seen before) but the heat demand wire to the control box is dead.

I have already changed the PCB and control box but it made no difference.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
If the lights are flashing, you could try new thermostat sensors. The flashing is a symptom of their failure.

If the lights are flashing, you could try new thermostat sensors. The flashing is a symptom of their failure.
Or measure their resistance , they are only NTC.
380k @ 0°
220k @10°
100k@ 25° As the boiler is cold this should give a good idea if fooked. Pretty sure all 3 are the same.
My first check would be pressure switch continuity.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both.

Not sure about the pressure switch, I’ll have to check the manual.

By thermostat sensor, do you mean the thermostat in the house? Is there not a flow sensor also, which would demand heat even if the thermostat sensor had failed?

No that is a room stat . There are 3 that plug into pcb to measure actual water temps .
The flow one is red, The tank is white and boiler is white with black band.

Is this a combi or just heat only?
While the PCB lights are flashing, is the/are either if a combi/ pump(s) trying to run?
Have you checked for output from the room stat to the PCB? Have you got a feed out of the boiler control stat to the burner? IIRC, the control box will have 240 volt most of the time for post purge. Have you followed the fault finding chart in the manual?
When you say the usual engineer cannot fix it, do you mean he's looked it or cannot get there? When you changed the control box, have you got the right variant?

Thanks for the responses.

Just to follow up on the issue, the problem was the pressure switch.

Thanks again.

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back