Firedoors needed on ALL rooms?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we're in the process of remodelling our home. The new layout has a staircase going up from the entrance hallway to a landing. From the landing there are three bedrooms and one bathroom - all pretty standard. The bedrooms all have escape windows. Because of the sloping nature of our site one of the bedrooms has more than a full storey drop (almost two storeys) down to ground level.

My building regs inspector says that because of this one bedroom I have to install fire doors on ALL the rooms - upstairs and downstairs, bedrooms, living rooms, kitchen and utility - except for bathrooms and toilets.

Is this correct? If so can someone explain the logic behind this for me please?

Thanks very much,

Konrad

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for your reply, I hope these plans help.

Existing ground floor plan:

FP2_Existing_Ground_Floor_Plan.jpg

Existing first floor plan:

FP3_Existing_First_Floor_Plan.jpg

Proposed ground floor plan:

Proposed ground floor plan.jpg

Proposed first floor plan:

proposed first floor plan.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality of the last two drawings.

Looking forward to your thoughts - many thanks

You shouldn't need fire doors or a protected escape route unless there are more than two storeys. If there is increased risk then that can be dealt with by fitting a suitable alarm system, probably L3 grade.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply. So are you saying there is no need for fire doors?

Basically the bedroom with the bay window has more than one storey below it because the ground falls away. Is there a maximum height the escape window cill can be?

My building inspector said the only alternative would be a sprinkler system which he said would be cost prohibitive.

A new wired and linked fire alarm system will be fitted throughout.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Konrad

You shouldn't need fire doors or a protected escape route unless there are more than two storeys. If there is increased risk then that can be dealt with by fitting a suitable alarm system, probably L3 grade.
Isn't it because one storey is over 4.5m above ground level (the new master bedroom presumably)? So the stairway must be protected.

I assume the ground slopes away to the rear so the fire egress windows to floors above 4.5m only applies to the rear elevation?
The existing rear bedroom with the bay window is existing and you are not making the means of escape any worse so that should not be affected.
With the new master bedroom why can't you make the front window between the ensuite and stairs the fire egress window? The main entrance door is at the front so I assume the floor level to the bedroom at the front is less than 4.5m above the ground level?

Hi Wessex101, yes the 4.5 m applies only to the rear elevation. The building inspector says that it is the bay window room that causes the issue. The new master bedroom has an escape window (the one between the stairs and en-suite) which has the sloping roof from the porch right below it .

So you are saying that when it is an existing bedroom which causes the issue, building control can't really make an issue of it?

Thanks

So you are saying that when it is an existing bedroom which causes the issue, building control can't really make an issue of it?
If anything you are improving the means of escape from the existing rear bedroom as the existing escape route has the stairs discharging into the ground floor hallway which is open to the living room.
If the building inspector will not budge and you want to be pragmatic it might be worth offering to fit a fire door to the kitchen and utility room on the ground floor but technically you shouldn't have to.

You are not creating an extra room on an extra storey, so the requirements for extra MoE measures do not apply. There is specific mention in B1 about this creating of extra storey.

The reference to >4.5m heights applies to new build or conversion of buildings with existing compliance to create a storey >4.5m.

As there was no existing protected escape route to an existing room and storey, then you are not under any obligation to create one ie the principle with renovation is that you should maintain compliance to the regulations in force when built and approved, but are not required to improve measures to current standards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back