Fireline board to underside of new second floor joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had new second floor joists built to take a future loft conversion while refurbing my two-storey (currently) house. They are supported on a steel beam which reduces the span and will support the purlin (in the future).

Do I need to use fireline plasterboard to the underside to comply with building regs application when I get the loft conversion done?

There are two thicknesses. Would 12.5mm or 15mm be required or more than one layer of either?

Want to get this right now as redoing it later would be awful.

Sponsored Links
1 layer of 15mm fireboard beneath and 22mm t&g flooring above will achieve 1/2 hours fire resistance. Technically speaking the joists should be at least 195mm high. Or use 1 layer of British Gypsum 12.5mm SoundBloc board instead.

Or if you have any spare plasterboard, 2 layers of 12.5mm will achieve the min. 30 minute fire resistance required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back