fireplace bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cover the wall behind my woodburner (the heat is too fierce for paint and even the plaster seems to crack) and wondered about whether to cut down bricks to thin faces using a grinder - I've only got a couple of inches behind the stove - and build a brick finish wall?

This got me thinking - is there a board or brick finish product that looks the real deal that would save me all that grinding? The area to cover is only around a square metre or so.

Your advice greatly appreciated.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Hello Steve

How about using some clay pavers. They are very decorative and can be fixed to a sound wall with flexible tile adhesive......something like this....

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikelyo...vingWwwMikelyonstilingCom#5156851870806221906

They are only an inch thick and have already been fired to 1800 degrees so heat is no problem. If you live anywhere near S.E.Wales, I have 8m2 left over from the job in the link, so you could pick up what you need for the pricely sum of a "four pack of bow" or free if your'e strapped.

Alternatively any ceramic tile will take heat as long as the surface is sound and is fixed with flexible adhesive.

All the best with your little quandry...........PM me if you want the clay pavers

Terry (C.F)

you can get slips of fire bricks ready cut, or use vermiculite board fix and point them with fir cement.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Cannyf - advice and offer much appreciated, unfortunately I live in the far east (Norfolk) but the clay pavers might be the solution.

The firebricks might also be worth looking at - cheers.

I vaguely remember seeing something on tv about all the fancy brickwork on new buildings (arches etc) being just concrete covered in a 'faux' brick and just wondered whether this sort of thing was available in small quantities for the DIY market?

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back