Fireplace mortar mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all

Im going to repoint my old fireplace and am wondering what the best motar mix is?
Its a grade 2 listed building so im after recreating something simlar to the picture.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Picture

Attachments

• brick1.jpg
    brick1.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 96
Is the fireplace part of the listing?

That looks like a lime mix, but you'll struggle matching the black flecks.

Yes I believe so, although I’m sure I could get away with something close to it. Was wondering if just sharp sand or similar could be used in the mix?

Someone’s had a go at touching it up in the past but it doesn’t look as good as the original areas.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
First be sure whether you need consent or not for the work you propose.

Stuart45 is the lime mortar expert on here, he'll probably pop in soon.

You might need to contact one of the lime suppliers. Our local one has something similar Lias Black Fleck Coarse Building/Pointing Lime Putty Mortar | Lime Mortars | Limebase
You could cut a sample out and take one in to get a better match. Lime itself can be a different colour. For example the French NHL dries slightly whiter than the Portuguese from here.
Sharp sand really refers to the shape of the particles. All of these sands here are sharp Sands & Aggregates (limebase.co.uk)
However if you ask for sharp in most builders merchants you get a bag of concreting sand, often used for floor screed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back