Fireplace nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am in the process of removing an open fire and opening fireplace up to original builders opening for a log burner
The chimney is concrete lined and the original fire was protruding out of opening.
The protruding fireplace was removed and the one side removed easily but the other side appears to have two large unused Vent type pipes one going up and the other going into the floor and I am still yet to find any lintil so am really confused.
I have an old 1990s house sale brochure which shows what appears to be an old gas type fire which would of been then replaced with the open fire.
Problem is can I remove the rubble and cemented in pipes which form a pillar on the side of the opening and strangely run past the 8 inch chimney flue. Also would it be then safe to put a lintil in to support the opening.
I have attached photos and thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG-20220911-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220911-WA0001.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG-20220911-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220911-WA0000.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 20220911_113113.jpg
    20220911_113113.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG-20220911-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20220911-WA0003.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 105
Sponsored Links
are you sure that its a vent pipe it looks like an old back boiler pipe that would have heated an upstairs rad at some point.

What lintel are you expecting to find, chimneys are toothed in so the only brick work that can collapse is the 45 degree triangle above the opening and that was probably supported by the mantel you removed. If you want to put a lintel in its pretty simple just plug and screw a bit of 2x4 into the bricks on the line you want to keep. each end then every 100mm, cut out the lintel bricks below and fit your lintel

Hi,
Thanks for your reply it really helps.
The lintel I removed was not really part of the original chimmey and was only loosely cemented over the firesurround they had built in front of the older original chimney.
That's a good idea regarding screwing the wood to act as a support.
So basically you are saying the bricks around the pipes are not a support only a casing for the pipes as I was worried that removing it would of meant that the whole wall would of collapsed.
I have attached further photos as not sure my last ones showed the issue.
Thanks for your advice
Dave

Attachments

• IMG-20220911-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20220911-WA0007.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG-20220911-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20220911-WA0006.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 60
Backboiler pipes, just put a lintel in across the space you want to clear, so from one side to the other, then you can mine away to your heart's content safe in the knowledge that the wall above is supported, 4 ft precast lintels support a huge weight.
Bricks only fail in a 45 degree triangle from the end of the unsupported section. see below

1662914839845.png

Sponsored Links
I'm sure the OP will feel much more reassured now he's seen this. o_O :LOL:

To the left hand side where the duct and crappy brick is, is the brickwork laid properly (should be), if so, once you've added a concrete lintel, you'll be able to knock all the old stuff out. I used a small concrete lintel to do the same.

Phew thanks so so much as I have been worried so much about this and glad I stopped and asked before carrying on.
The bricks to the side of the the shabby bricked up duct are fine but and sorry to be a pain I have just one more question.
When I remove the shabby bricks will their be be the house cavity wall opening with the pipe in or would it be filled with the same sort of bricks or concreted and if so would this be self supporting.
I have done a quick drawing as it's so hard to explain

Attachments

• IMG-20220911-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20220911-WA0009.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 54
Whoops should of said that I realise that the lintel will support the brickwork its just what is in the space behind

the stuff in the space behind was to protect the pipes it has no other function ...sort out the brick work with a lintel and carve away...

The easiest way to support bricks in a small triangle is to fix a bit of 2x4 across the brick line you want to keep, plug and screw the ends then put a plug and screw in each brick center...hey presto the triangle is supported and you can get on with the lintel and the opening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back