Fireplace - what bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read a few similar posts on the forum but none seem to answer my question: I am re-instating (opening) a fireplace and I intend to use a woodburner stove (5-8KW). I would like to use an oak beam mantel, render/paint the outside and lay bricks on the inside, kind of like this:
http://www.hotfrog.co.uk/companies/J-R-Workshop/images/J-R-Designs_6330736_126494_image.jpg
(that is a pic I just stole from google images to give as example)
My question is, do I need to use firebricks and firemortar or can I use some nice reclaimed red bricks and "normal" mortar?
Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
For any reader's benefit, I have been told by the chimney sweeper that I don't need special fire bricks or mortar when using a stove/log burner.
That being said, he wasn't he most reliable/trustworthy person in the world, but I will go with that.

It is quite normal to simply open out the builders opening, and then install a stove. That is what I did, though the stove was installed for me. If you can find a working stove, you will discover that you can put your hand quite close to it. Of course if you touch it, you will get burnt.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that is what I am after as well.
So does that violate any building regulations? Would I need planning permission for that?
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay to have it fitted? I've only had one chimney/stove trandesman to look at my fireplace but I have the feeling he would rip me off big time.

Thanks, that is what I am after as well.
So does that violate any building regulations? Would I need planning permission for that?
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay to have it fitted? I've only had one chimney/stove trandesman to look at my fireplace but I have the feeling he would rip me off big time.

I removed the firebrick and the rubble behind. I then paid to have a granite inner and outer decorative hearth fitted, with a Charnwood C-Four stove and a stainless steel liner in my bungalow. I paid £1800 including £700 for the stove. I had several quotes one close to £3000.

The installation has to be checked by someone qualified, such as a Hetas engineer. You get a certificate, which helps when you sell the house. You can do it yourself, and the council can inspect it for you. You might be able to talk to the council to get advice.

There are regs concerning how far the stove can be from combustible material, and a few others too.

Thanks, that gives me a good idea. It sounds like a fair price.

I have read a few similar posts on the forum but none seem to answer my question: I am re-instating (opening) a fireplace and I intend to use a woodburner stove (5-8KW). I would like to use an oak beam mantel, render/paint the outside and lay bricks on the inside, kind of like this:
http://www.hotfrog.co.uk/companies/J-R-Workshop/images/J-R-Designs_6330736_126494_image.jpg
(that is a pic I just stole from google images to give as example)
My question is, do I need to use firebricks and firemortar or can I use some nice reclaimed red bricks and "normal" mortar?
Thanks,
Dan
The wood mantel is the most important thing here and its distance from the appliance and flue pipe!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back