fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
need to render internal cheeks of an old fireplace to make good a recently exposed opening. Thinking a 3:1 mix of render to withstand heat of real fire. Need to dab out by 40mm so thinking that is too much just for render alone. any advice on heat resistant board ?

Sponsored Links
thanks richard. I've read all that . So in your experience would you say a render mix is ok for an open fire not a wood burner? And does a 3:1 mix appear too hard ?

thanks richard. I've read all that . So in your experience would you say a render mix is ok for an open fire not a wood burner?
I’m not sure how you arrived at that conclusion from the links I posted :confused: . In my case the render mix was used as a base coat for a granite tile fire surround & the surrounding wall before a heat proof finishing plaster was applied. I used a 5:1:1 sand/cement/lime mix & although I’ve not had any problems, a little more lime might be better. This could also be used to line an opening where a free standing stove is being fitted but not directly in contact with the fire or the stove. If you’re re-instating a conventional open fire, you should either be lining the opening with fire bricks or installing a proper throated fire back, something like this; http://www.bygones.net/view.asp?ID=4828
It’s what came out of mine before the multi-fuel stove was installed.

And does a 3:1 mix appear too hard ?
A straight 3:1 sand/cement render is much too strong & without the lime will almost certainly crack under heat.

Sponsored Links
Have you considered a fire brick lining? You can get 1" thick fire brick, fix with normal mortar, then rake out the joints and point with fire cement. I have done 3 fireplaces like this for fire baskets and had no problems. They look good as well being a pale yellow colour.

Have you considered a fire brick lining? You can get 1" thick fire brick, fix with normal mortar, then rake out the joints and point with fire cement. I have done 3 fireplaces like this for fire baskets and had no problems. They look good as well being a pale yellow colour.
If you’re re-instating a conventional open fire, you should either be lining the opening with fire bricks or installing a proper throated fire back
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back