Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just had old back boiler and gas fire removed.
What is the best practice to block this off.
Can I simply just put some board across or would I have to put some insulation in
When i get some roof tiles fixed im asking them to make sure the chimney is adequate and that no water will be able to get in and down.

Also have an old vent to fill in. Do I just fix a piece of wood in, th keep some plasterboard to the front and plaster over to match up with the wall?

Sponsored Links
Before blocking off the opening you should remove any flue liner and have the flue swept.
Using a wood frame and plaster board is fine but you must insert a vent in the p/board - the flue must be vented at the bottom & at the top with a correct terminal on the stack.

The "old vent" is presumably a wall vent?
Was this old vent required for make up air for the gas fire or is it the only means of ventilation in the room?

it was from the gas fire/back boiler. heres pics of the hole and also the flue?
And also one of the chimney

Attachments

• f2_50.jpg
    f2_50.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 59
  • f3_50.jpg
    f3_50.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 65
  • f4_50.jpg
    f4_50.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 93
  • chim.JPG
    chim.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
Your pics show a SS flexi-liner stub - not a flue.

The SS flexi flue liner should be entirely removed.
The metal Register plate can be also removed or left in position after removing the SS liner.
But it might make sweeping the flue easier if the plate is removed?
Any other flues should also be swept at the same time.

The pipes from the old back boiler will probably be seen on the RH side of the c/breast - they can be removed back up into the floor or the old H/W cylinder closet.
Its important that the old gas pipe is capped off where it branches off the main gas line - a job for a Gas Safe.

The chimney stack has a gas terminal on the LH side - is that your flue terminal or your neighbour's?
The whole top of the stack flaunching might need replacing with new flaunching, and new venting terminals for all the flues that terminate there.
The RH side of the flaunching is probably where the moisture is entering your flue/SS liner.

The LH stack lead flashing needs tidying up.
Is there a Bonding Gutter or Joining Strip where the two roof surfaces meet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back