firex gc 240 mains fire alarm inconsistant beep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, my alarm is beeping when it feels like it, maybe nothing for days then a beep a minute hald a dozen times, then two in succession, then nothing at all for days again, any thoughts please :)

Sponsored Links
went twice in as many seconds again....its doing my head in now, anybodyyyyyyyyyyyyy....................

What model is it smoke alarm or heat detector ?
How old is the detector ?
If it has pp3 battery replace battery and vacum smoke detector
If lithium battery model then replace unit
If fault persists replace unit as the cost of the unit is less then loss of live.

smoke alarm, manuals exclude this model for battery replacement purposes, its 16 years old so i guess its time to replace, is the mains 3 pin plug universal? thanks for reply

Sponsored Links
No
Different makes have different connectors
Do you have any other firex detectors on the same circuit ?
Are they interlinked ?
If you do I would replace smoke detector with another firex model

also does the mounting come supplied with the alarm please

thanks for all the replies guys il get it sorted tomorrow

Just an footnote. Smoke alarms have elements in them that degrade over time.
Alarms usually have a replacement date sticker on them. In most cases this is 10 years from date of manufacture.
So, as above, time for replacements. Do not mix with other makes, if they are interlinked alarms.

Just an footnote. Smoke alarms have elements in them that degrade over time. Alarms usually have a replacement date sticker on them. In most cases this is 10 years from date of manufacture.
Indeed. I can but presume that the concern is just about 'general ageing', and that the 10 years is therefore totally arbitrary. I used to think that the 'life' of an ionisation smoke detector was related to the radioactive delay, until I discovered that the half-life of Americium-241 is over 400 years (which equates to less than 2% loss of radioactivity in 10 years)!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back