First attempt at roofing!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So...Long story short. Bought an 1836 property that we knew needed a new kitchen roof. The kitchen was added in the 80's and hasn't been roofed since.
There was a mouse issue that created a couple of leaks and it had been this way for around 5 years. Several builders had patched/temp repaired over the years and quotes varied from 5k to 15k.

The major issue was that its a 10 degree pitch. The centurion tiles will go down to 10 degree but, as most of the battens were rotten it was clear that the 2nd 3rd and 4th rows were actually angled backwards!

The lead work was a shambles. Huge clumps of mortar and all sorts of different methods used over the years to try to seal. The flint work was the problem. No mortar line had been achieved originally due to this.

Anyway, I convinced the wife to let me tackle it. And tackle it I did.

Picture 256 is before. Now that's a dead roof!
Picture 059 is during, it was hideous. Black mould and smelt awful. 3 layers of polythene were followed by 3 separate layers of felt and insulation. All sodden. Followed by soaked chipboard sarking and then more insulation. It was a 6 day job to strip. Although I had no help. 40 years of grime! Black mould, it was hot and I was wearing a 3M mask the whole time. Man that was tough!

The final picture is how it turned out after 3 weeks of hard work.
Was really hard work.
5 rafters replaced, 550 tiles cleaned, 12 sheets of 18mm OSB lugged up the ladder.
75mm difference in height between left and right walls. Not a square corner on the kitchen.
Now as its such a low pitch it was really difficult to set the tiles correctly, especially at the eaves but maths helped a lot here and accuracy was key.
I'm really happy with it. Just got to decide on how to finish my dry verge but, I'll ask that in an appropriate post.

What's your thoughts?

Screenshot_20210827-130256_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210827-130059_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210827-125616_Gallery.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back