Insulating pitched roof into eaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I think I have the answer I need from this thread but as I'm a total noob I'm asking to be double-sure.

First picture shows pitched roof that we had mould on about 2/3 into right-hand external corner. Thats been sorted now so I want to tackle the reason it was explained to me - no insulation above the pitched roof.

Second picture shows what I discovered today having a rummage round the loft. The hatches show where insulation currently is and the pitched roof definitely has none.

My question is, would an insulation board be preferable to a roll here, or is stuffing roll down sufficient? The roof has no membrane so not sure whether the issue of leaving ventilation space is too much of a concern?

Any advice much appreciated
Cheers

Attachments

• pitch.jpg
    pitch.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 52
  • roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
I had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago in all of my upstairs rooms. I ended up buying some 50mm insulation board from inter line and cutting it to the correct size and sliding it down into void. I did make sure I left a gap between board and roof membrane for air flow. I've only had a very small bit of mould come back and it turns out I'd missed a small section above one of the rooms

I had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago in all of my upstairs rooms. I ended up buying some 50mm insulation board from inter line and cutting it to the correct size and sliding it down into void. I did make sure I left a gap between board and roof membrane for air flow. I've only had a very small bit of mould come back and it turns out I'd missed a small section above one of the rooms
One other question @Davidandkeiley . Did you use a regular hacksaw to cut the board or need anything more heavy duty?

Sponsored Links
I used a normal saw. It does get a bit messy so done it outside. It's very easy to cut

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back