What tiles and skylight to use on a very low pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I am installing a low pitched roof (10 degrees). I want to add a meter wide skylight. I was going to use forticrete centurion roof tiles which work down to 10 degrees but the manufacturer tell me that you can't put a skylight in at 10 degrees as the flashing will cause the tiles to lift and therefore allow water to blow into the roof.

So does anyone know what skylight tile combination I should use? Want a tiled finish, my main roof has pan-tiles so something to mirror this would be desirable.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately the minimum pitch for most roof-lights is 15 degrees, to use at 10 degrees you have to have a kerb fitted more like a flat roof roof-light. If you are just in need of light why not look into sunpipes?

Thanks for the fast response, I don't mind using a kerb, as this will lift the moving parts away from the tiles, but do you know what tiles can be used with (I assume) the flashing that will have to be installed round the window. I'd rather not use sunpipes if I can help it as the windows are for a kitchen and they'll look good once installed.

The manufacturers of these tiles will only guarantee pitches as low as 10 degrees if the roof is very simple i.e. lean-to with no additional complications and is less than 5m (rafter) in length.

Forget using them if you live in an exposed area or the roof is on a windward elevation.

It is asking for trouble to fix a roof light in this particular scenario.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, I never imagined this roof would be such a problem, the rafter span is just over 5m. Wish I'd known I'd have insisted on a greater pitch (raised around the first floor windows). I'm stuck with it now, I'm going to use the Centurions with Velux windows and kerbs. (All very expensive). I'll double felt it and hopefully we'll find a way to keep the rain at bay. I'll let you know if it doesn't work.
Thanks for your help, feel free to comment further if you think it will help.
Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back