Low Pitched Roof Alternative

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have had an side extention to my house and the builder - who is a cowboy has put in a roof at a pitch of approximately 8-10 degrees. This was tiled using Modern Marley tiles and Building Control inspector has failed this due to the tiles being suitable for only 17.5 degrees.

The inspector has suggested to change the tiles to Centurions which are suitable for 10 degrees but the problem is that they would like upto 3-5months to come due to the lack of stock.

Is there any other solution which would be better suited.

I have been looking into EPDM and felt roof but I have not discussed this with the inspector.

The size of the side extention is 3m by 10m.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi there, sorry to hear that you've had a cowboy builder experience!

Flat roof choices range from mastic asphalt, GRP/fibre glass, single ply membranes and EPDM. Each of these might be best on different roofs depending on what you're looking for - lifespan, cost, ability to install for DIY work. Out of the above EPDM and PMA asphalt last the longest, up to 50/60 years if installed and maintained properly, but because of this, are often the more expensive choices.
Saying this though, EPDM can be installed yourself with the help of product packaging and online tutorials - although if you're looking for a quick solution for someone else's mistake, you might want to leave it to a professional roofer.

Here's a blog about flat roofing materials - the pros and cons of each. I found it quite useful when I was trying to choose from all the different options for flat roofs.
http://waterproofsystems.co.uk/news/rubber flat roofing materials

EPDM is dead easy. I've done two decent sized flat roofs with it and I'm not a roofer. The only help I needed as an extra pair of hands to get the sheet up there, and roll it out evenly.

What ! even with your short Gnome legs ;) Maybe sheet metal from our erstwhile Hardmetalking.

Sponsored Links
I d
EPDM is dead easy. I've done two decent sized flat roofs with it and I'm not a roofer. The only help I needed as an extra pair of hands to get the sheet up there, and roll it out evenly.
I did a 7m X 4m roof on my own, hardest thing was getting up the ladder with the entire roll over my shoulder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back