First effort at a stud wall, flexing slightly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, would really appreciate some advice. First effort at a stud wall with a door way (see attached pic).

I'm pretty happy with it but I have a concern and I'm a natural worrier so could you put my mind at rest?

If I grab the door frame and use a bit of weight the frame flexes slightly. Will this be a problem when the plaster is on? It's only moving a few mm is this normal or have I done wrong. The frame is attached to the 2 vertical walls and the head and sole plates fine.

I wish I used thicker timber now, I thought as it was only 1.5m long the thinnest stud timber in wickes would do which is 38x63mm.

I've put the plaster board on now and hasn't stopped the flex. I guess the door frame might help some more when that goes in?
[/img]

Sponsored Links
To be fair, you have been a bit light with the materials, but as you say the door casing will toughen things up a bit.
John :)

+1; studwork should usually be a minimum of 50x75.

The slight flexing shouldn't cause any cracking in the finished plasterwork;
it would be better if the door handle/catch was on the r/h side - is that the plan? Otherwise use a lightweight door (and don't slam it!)

Thanks, in my defence it was labelled stud work timber in wickes, but I've learnt my lesson.

Was gonna have the door handle on the side furthest from the window, on the right hand side as you walk into the room?

Sponsored Links
screw and glue 6mm plywood to one face, staggered joints, if its possible to do at this stage.

Will help to stiffen it up, the plasterboard will abit, but flex due to compression around the fixings will reduce its stiffening effect, and its only plasterboard.

The plasterboards themselves will stiffen the whole thing up a lot. Just make sure you fix them on with enough screws.

Wickes do (I think) 3 sizes of studding. Used a couple for various odd jobs and the quality is pretty good.

Plasterboard (screwed on) will definitely add some rigidity. But stud walls will always flex. I hate them tbh, much rather have solid.

Wickes do (I think) 3 sizes of studding. Used a couple for various odd jobs and the quality is pretty good.

Plasterboard (screwed on) will definitely add some rigidity. But stud walls will always flex. I hate them tbh, much rather have solid.

Or you could just screw some 12mm OSB or plywood to one or both sides before fitting the plasterboard. Makes hanging things on the wall dead easy as you can just use a screw and put it anywhere. If you also fill the wall with sound insulation it will have the feel of a solid wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back