Bathroom stud wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm not sure if I'm correct. We would like to build stud wall to accommodate excased shower with pipes and possibly nieche shelf. I'm aware aquapanels should be used. However the stud wall timber if I'm correct needs to be attached to old council style brick wall. Should the wall be timber frame then plaster and aquapanel or timber frame and aquapanel attached to timber frame? And then tiles? No plaster on aquapanel?

We are doing the wall but have plumber to instal the shower.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The aquapanel can go straight into the studwork but you should seal it with a tanking kit (and test it out) before tiling into it.

You can fix tile backers direct to brick wall if you want and the wall is flat enough. No don't skim over backing board. No need for plasterboard or plaster behind it either.
If one wall is external you might want to think about some insulation (depends what insulation you already have as to whether it's worth the time and effort), also if the stud wall has a habitable room on the other side of it (bedroom) consider noise attenuation in the stud wall.

The aquapanel can go straight into the studwork but you should seal it with a tanking kit (and test it out) before tiling into it.
What thickness aquapanel should it be 12mm? Would that be enough?

Sponsored Links
You can fix tile backers direct to brick wall if you want and the wall is flat enough. No don't skim over backing board. No need for plasterboard or plaster behind it either.
If one wall is external you might want to think about some insulation (depends what insulation you already have as to whether it's worth the time and effort), also if the stud wall has a habitable room on the other side of it (bedroom) consider noise attenuation in the stud wall.
Yes we got quote for external insulation but as we just got the house with loads of attention needed, such as single glass windows ect we are focusing on this.

And I wasn't going to use backerboards on brickwalls just the studwall we will build for shower enclosure, should i use it on brick wall? . Tbh i don't really want to reduce size of the room too much with backerboards and then tiles as we managed to take the wall down between toilets and create bathroom big enough to accommodate bathtub and shower.

Yes we got quote for external insulation but as we just got the house with loads of attention needed, such as single glass windows ect we are focusing on this.

And I wasn't going to use backerboards on brickwalls just the studwall we will build for shower enclosure, should i use it on brick wall? . Tbh i don't really want to reduce size of the room too much with backerboards and then tiles as we managed to take the wall down between toilets and create bathroom big enough to accommodate bathtub and shower.
Good call on EWI, if you can afford it it's a much better solution.
If you're really tight for space you can tile direct to brick but for the sake of 15mm (backerboard plus glue) it'll be much easier to tile & you'll avoid any problems with damp through the tiles/grout into the brickwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back